Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Descending on scree

Help! Descending on scree

I did a 6 mile run over Moel Famau in North Wales this weekend and really loved it, except for the part where I was coming down from the top on sort of shallow scree over rock, and really lost control. I'd been trying to go fast and light with short strides, but ended up careering down nearly falling on my face and having to veer off into the heather to slow myself down enough to stop swearing and panicking. What went wrong? Bad technique, or just loosing my nerve?

Any tips would be really welcome, because the confidence knock really cost me time. Thanks all.

Dunno about improving it, but that looks pretty standard technique amongst the Fell Runners I know
    pies

You get good at what you train and race. Do more races with scree.

I know that's not much help - especially in the Peaks. How about:
    Try to concentrate on stepping your feet higher on tricky descents - it reduces the chance that you'll catch a toe and trip up.
    And here's something that I sometimes do to build up confidence on very steep stuff. On your steepest training descent, try leaping as far forward as you can then slowing yourself down again. This kind of resets your perception of what's scary and makes normal strides on a descent seem less scary. It also reassures you that even when you're travelling much too fast, you're still in control enough to slow yourself down should you need to. This can help if it is in the mind.

Enjoy

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    I'd been trying to go fast and light with short strides, but ended up careering down nearly falling on my face and having to veer off into the heather to slow myself down enough to stop swearing and panicking.
    Isn't that how you are supposed to do it?

Seriously, no substitute for practice and experience really but as noel suggested, pushing the limits on easier stuff in training may at least help when it comes to the real thing.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    I did a 6 mile run over Moel Famau in North Wales this weekend and really loved it, except for the part where I was coming down from the top on sort of shallow scree over rock, and really lost control. I'd been trying to go fast and light with short strides, but ended up careering down nearly falling on my face and having to veer off into the heather to slow myself down enough to stop swearing and panicking. What went wrong? Bad technique, or just loosing my nerve?

Any tips would be really welcome, because the confidence knock really cost me time. Thanks all.
    I'd say get confident on easier stuff first aswell. One thing i've noticed about scree is that the bigger the lumps are the higher the risk is, lots of little bitty bits are easier to deal with and it doesn't hurt if you fall on your arse either. BTW don't be scared to fall over, it's part of the experience and part of the learning curve. How strong are your hip flexors? I'm sure i'm more stable since hitting the pilates studio and throwing some shapes.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks all, that's useful (and reassuring!). Will keep practicing and play about with stride length and picking up my feet, and scaring myself a bit so I get used to it! That's an interesting thought about my hip flexors too - I really have no idea whether they're any good. Maybe I'll ditch the yoga and try some pilates instead.

Thanks again.

Hi Amy, the secret is OFF.
    Brakes off, brain off makes One Fast Fellrunner!!

When I was a fast descender (a long time ago), when that 'losing control' feeling hits, the best thing to do is to relax, spread your arms for balance and just imagine 'flying' down the slope. Its when you tense up that you are more likely to crash. Its amazing how well you subconsciously map the terrain ahead but it only works if you let go. Trust the Force!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Another thing to bear in mind:-
    You can improve your ascending by training; but you can only improve your descending by racing and going head to head with equivalent "nutters" at your level / from your section of the field.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post

When I was a fast descender (a long time ago), when that 'losing control' feeling hits, the best thing to do is to relax, spread your arms for balance and just imagine 'flying' down the slope. Its when you tense up that you are more likely to crash. Its amazing how well you subconsciously map the terrain ahead but it only works if you let go. Trust the Force!!
    Very good advice that, but it takes unshakable confidence. I remember at Dunnerdale a few weeks ago i was held up on that gnarly last descent unable to pass a bunch of 3 in front of me. The path took a sharp zig zag around a small rocky lump and i just caught sight of a route and went for it. The chap in front of me slowed up left and i whipped in front of him like a blur and over the rocky lump, two steps later i'd cut in front on the lead runner without touching anyone. It was all over in about 4/5 steps; there was a shout of "Jesus Christ!!" from someone but i'm not sure why. Sometimes it's about allowing your body to travel at terminal velocity and just skipping your feet over whatever's there as weightlessly as possible...like i said it takes some balls though.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    !!
    A good recce is recommended prior to this though and especially if you cannot see the full descent from above. I have learnt this to my cost and still have the scars to prove it!

Trust the Force!!
    but not on descents to the dark side of the fell.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast