Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Descending on scree

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Very good advice that, but it takes unshakable confidence. I remember at Dunnerdale a few weeks ago...
    That reminds me of my other realisation about descending quickly (which was borne out at Dunnerdale):

It's tiring!

So if you want to do well at long descents, you need to be fit enough or fresh enough to have the energy to push. If you're still completely shot after the climb, you won't be able to descend quickly. It's a balancing act - where do you want to gain places? Where do your strengths lie? And where is there the most time to be gained?

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    ...... "nutters" .........
    Oy !!!
    See the light in the night

Haha, thanks all. Being skinny and young-ish, I should probably not be scared of falling over. Am stuck with sh*tty road running at the moment because I've been working late and am currently headtorch-less, but next time I manage to get out I'll see if I can throw the switch to 'off' and just go with it. Really do appreciate the advice/support/warmth/humour here.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    Really do appreciate the advice/support/warmth/humour here.
    They're always like that to skinny, young-ish ladies; i'm a skinny, young-ish bloke and i got my arse chewed off
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Haha, mr b, I'd not realised they were all so fickle. I retract my praise

Its a tough thing to do in training. You really need the adrenaline and committment of race situation to catch that moment. Mr B's story is so typical! When someone is really flying it is all about skimming over whatever comes up...and as Noel says, you can't do it if really knackered. Although I fancied myself as a good descender in my 30's, I knew I would never be a 'great' descender the time I was passed by a chap who literally flew over the top of me. It was the boulder field coming off Moel Hebog... I was running through the boulders, he was skipping over the top of them! Cajones the size of melons!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

If you are a quick descender when youngish, as you age there is a loss of leg speed. For any very fast descent, whatever is underfoot, the leg has to be out there ready, this ability is lost with age. But also worth considering for yourself, I reckon the more confidence you have the longer your stride. Longer your stride the longer your time "in the air", hence the longer you have to get your leading leg back out in front. It takes nerve, balance etc. keep practising!!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    Being skinny and young-ish, I should probably not be scared of falling over. Am stuck with sh*tty road running at the moment because I've been working late and am currently headtorch-less, but next time I manage to get out I'll see if I can throw the switch to 'off' and just go with it.
    Throwing the switch to 'off' when using a head torch may be another way to get the 'feel' of running down a hill fast.

I am not brave enough to attempt this unless it is bright moonlight and I know the hill well.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Oy !!!
    Oh dear; apologies Mark, I now realise that I should have used a capital "N".

How improper of me.

Ian Roberts, Bowland FR.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Oh dear; apologies Mark, I now realise that I should have used a capital "N".

How improper of me.

Ian Roberts, Bowland FR.
    I'll let you off this time WD
    See the light in the night