Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! Descending on scree

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    I did a 6 mile run over Moel Famau in North Wales this weekend and really loved it, except for the part where I was coming down from the top on sort of shallow scree over rock, and really lost control. I'd been trying to go fast and light with short strides, but ended up careering down nearly falling on my face and having to veer off into the heather to slow myself down enough to stop swearing and panicking. What went wrong? Bad technique, or just loosing my nerve?

Any tips would be really welcome, because the confidence knock really cost me time. Thanks all.
    I have trained there a lot - one of my " local" hills - ie one of the few less than an hour away! Theclwydian hills race goes up that gully you came down,
    But IMHO That is a dangerous descent particularly when wet, and not proper scree: the underlying rocks can be very greasy so needs caution - I tiptoe down parts of it sometimes - keeping your weight back clearly important.

There is not a lot of true scree descent on fell races generally, so dont worry too much about scree per se: the borrowdale descent of scafell pike the most obvious example, but that is eminently runnable( although I question whether fell races should damage screes! another question entirely)
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 28-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post

There is not a lot of true scree descent on fell races generally, so dont worry too much about scree per se: the borrowdale descent of scafell pike the most obvious example, but that is eminently runnable( although I question whether fell races should damage screes! another question entirely)
    I would also argue that when I ran the Borrowdale race the time I lost by being a bit hesitant on that descent was negligible compared to what I lost by being totally knackered when I reached the Dale Head ascent. I suspect for most of us the biggest gains are to had by focusing on the ascending in our training.