Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a new boy

Advice for a new boy

Hi

I have decided that I would like to give Fell running a go as constant road running is getting a little tedious, so here goes:

I live in Castleford West Yorks and would like advice on a club to join near by
    I am looking at getting started asap so would like an event close ish that is suitable for me to find my feet in this type of event

Thoughts Please

Steven

It is a simple sport so not much to say, just get out and walk/run routes you know and build up from that. A pair of proper fell shoes (inov8 mudclaws, walshes, etc) will make a massive difference on steep soft ground.

Other people will advise on clubs in your area.

Definitely look at the non-forum bit of the FRA website for events in your area.
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

Mytholmroyd on 14th Dec

Stoop (Penistone Hill) on 21st Dec
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by binks View Post
    Hi

I have decided that I would like to give Fell running a go as constant road running is getting a little tedious, so here goes:

I live in Castleford West Yorks and would like advice on a club to join near by
    I am looking at getting started asap so would like an event close ish that is suitable for me to find my feet in this type of event

Thoughts Please

Steven
    Your nearest club with a fell representation is probably Horsforth Harriers. The Stoop is probably a reasonable choice of race for you, Woodentops races are usually suitable for novices whilst also covering good fell terrain. Give Dave Woodhead a ring and explain your skills and experience levels, he will be able to advise you if the race is within your capability or not. Remember to start getting together some good kit, you may find you are required to carry it at some races and it's getting towards the kit carrying part of the year. FRA 'Best Practice' kit is defined in the rules and organisers can ask for anything between none and all of it to be carried. Have fun!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Your nearest club with a fell representation is probably Horsforth Harriers. The Stoop is probably a reasonable choice of race for you, Woodentops races are usually suitable for novices whilst also covering good fell terrain. Give Dave Woodhead a ring and explain your skills and experience levels, he will be able to advise you if the race is within your capability or not. Remember to start getting together some good kit, you may find you are required to carry it at some races and it's getting towards the kit carrying part of the year. FRA 'Best Practice' kit is defined in the rules and organisers can ask for anything between none and all of it to be carried. Have fun!
    Wouldn't necessarily agree there Luke. Although HH have a growing number of fell runners I'd say most of the clubs to the east & north of Leeds (Kippax/Roundhay/Chapel Allerton/Valley/Abbey etc) plus Ackworth or Wakefield District Harriers (John & Annabel Mason among others) would be closer options to consider thoguh to be fair i don't know of their specific fell training sessions. Historically, I've been aware of residents of Kippax being members of Calder Valley.

...a little further south there's Barnsley Harriers, Wakefield Tri club,

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Your nearest club with a fell representation is probably Horsforth Harriers.
    Horsforth who?

I'd definitely agree with The Stoop being a good first timer's race (weather permitting) and a great introduction to the friendly atmosphere to be found at fell races. If you can't get out of Christmas shopping that weekend, looking ahead to January, there's the Stanbury Splash too.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

You don't have to join a club to start. Simply get the kit and turn up at a few short winter races, then have a look at all the club vests about and chat with anyone whose clubs may be close to your area. Take it from there.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

You can also chose the nicest coloured club vest then, modern fell racers are quite a fashionable lot and kit colour co-ordination is important up north .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.