Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham Round - UTMB

Bob Graham Round - UTMB

Here is a link to an announcement which has been posted today on the BG Club site:

http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=utmb

Full text immediately below:

Since 2008, the Bob Graham Round has been listed as a qualifying race for UTMB and other of its sister events. After discussions between the Bob Graham 24 Hour Club and the UTMB race organisation, it has been agreed that members of the Club who have completed their rounds in 2014 will be the final cohort who will be able to use 4 points from the completion of their Round in the UTMB entry process.

During 2014, primarily as a result of the increasing number of races worldwide that wanted to seek status as a UTMB qualifying race, the UTMB race organisation took the decision to contract out a particular aspect of the process by which races would be recognised as qualifying events. This aspect, the validation of race distances and ascent figures, is now undertaken by the International Trail Running Association.

As we came to understand the revised process, it became clear that there were two routes we could adopt in order to maintain the position of the Round as a qualifying race. The first was to ask ITRA to undertake scrutiny of the distance/ascent data to validate this. This would be an annual requirement and would cost Euros 100. The second route involved registering the Club as a member of ITRA. ITRA members can take advantage of the validation service at no cost. Membership of ITRA would come at an annual cost of Euros 50.

The Club has no wish to become a member of an organisation dedicated to the long term future, structure and governance of the sport of trail running; the Round has its own unique heritage and history somewhat apart from the rapidly growing sport of trail running.

The Club was formed with a number of specific objects which are recorded in its constitution (available for consultation here). After considering the Club’s position, we do not feel that applying the Club’s resources in the manner outlined above sits in any way comfortably with the Club’s objectives as outlined in clause 2 of the constitution. As a side issue, the Club is obliged by its constitution (clause 5) to ensure that any surplus cash is distributed to charitable beneficiaries. So any long term payment of the type necessary to maintain the current status quo would reduce the surplus available for charitable donations; again something we are not prepared to contemplate. Whilst the arrangements prior to this year involved only time and effort on the parts of Bob Wightman and me, we were happy to make the necessary contribution, but that clearly will not be the case going forward.

The UTMB series of ultra trail races are amongst the finest races of their type anywhere in the world. As someone who has raced the CCC twice and the UTMB, and covered the UTMB for iRunFar.com, I can speak from personal experience. For ambience and spirit, they arguably have no equal; I have said as much in print. The roster of qualifying races, both in the UK and further afield is extensive, and I hope that any member of the Club who wishes to participate in any of these races in the future will be able to find their qualifying races elsewhere.

Morgan Williams

Secretary
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Seems a reasonable position to take.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Seems a reasonable position to take.
    More than reasonable to me DrPat
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Yes, very sensible.

Nick Smith
    Excellent decision, glad to hear it.

Seems very fair.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Sensible and the right decision

This just seems wrong - I feel certain that many potential UTMB applicants would have been very happy to make a donation of say 10 euro after completion of a successful round to have their 4 pointer able to count towards UTMB.
    So from now on when people (across the world) search the UTMB qualifying list the BGR will not be visible as a mighty 4 pointer really ...

Super Moderator
    So you think the Bob Graham qualifies as a qualifying race for a trail race then (if you excuse the pun)?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by legbski View Post
    So from now on when people (across the world) search the UTMB qualifying list the BGR will not be visible as a mighty 4 pointer really ...
    I reckon that is part of the reason. They don't want to publice the BG.