Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down

Slowing down

At what age should I expect to get diminishing returns from training? I'm coming up 45 and have noticed I'm getting gradually slower in training. Runs of an hour are taking a few minutes longer, nothing major but consistently despite the same perceived effort. My training has remained the same so should I just expect a slow gradual decline or can I stop the rot. I've noticed my climbing has particularly slowed down especially the steep stuff.
    Neil

I think the start of the noticeable decline is at the mid-40s (not through personal experience - I'm 40 and looking forward to 3-4 years of good results).

How many V40s win big races? - lots of them. How many V45s win races? Only Ian Holmes and a few others - and generally not champs races.

According to this site: http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/AgeGrading.asp, we're already slowing down from age 36, and age 31 for lasses. It's strange how it seems to be slightly older for fell runners.

I hope this confirmation of your and my diminishing athletic prowess doesn't depress you. I normally think I'm only racing against people the same age as me. That helps my mindset.

I normally think I'm only racing against people the same age as me. That helps my mindset.
    I only started running three years ago (aged 41) and I'm looking forwards to moving out of the V40 and into the V45 for this very reason!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

I think it very much depends on how good you are to start with. I will be 50 after christmas and have been running about 7 years. For me breaking into the top half of a race is success and I see no reason that I won't continue to improve on where I am at the moment. I am currently in the early stages of BG training.

Just about hitting similar times but I'm finding recovery periods taking longer. so although I want to train as hard I have to be more selective in my training...@49

looking forward to racing at Vet 50

Speaking personally I'd say age 50 was a turning point - injuries and other issues mean I've slowed quite a bit in the last 7 years. However look at Clayton stalwarts Kieran Carr and Jack Holt - both running well during their 60's!!! I think they are both a little bit slower now, but if you see Kieran and Jack giving it everything on the Ben descent you just wouldnt believe that they are both nearly 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Speaking personally I'd say age 50 was a turning point - injuries and other issues mean I've slowed quite a bit in the last 7 years. However look at Clayton stalwarts Kieran Carr and Jack Holt - both running well during their 60's!!! I think they are both a little bit slower now, but if you see Kieran and Jack giving it everything on the Ben descent you just wouldnt believe that they are both nearly 70.
    50 was my turning point. After my 50th bash in the Kings Head, Kettlewell after the FRA relays I couldn't even run the next day.
    See the light in the night

At 60 I was going pretty well and even picking up Category awards. 4 years on and I'm absolute rubbish. Training is difficult and one paced although I can still run the steepest of hills without walking.I find I can push myself longer and harder on the bike these days and it's certainly easier on the joints. Mind you 50 years of Fellrunning and racing so I musnt complain.

I've just turned 53 and have slowed down in the last year and a half or so. However I also find it harder to motivate myself and recover so training is not that good. I like to think there is a way of getting closer to my best. Just need to work out what it is and if I can be arsed.

52 going on 53 here and I'm on the improvement, though only on what I was doing at 40. I'm basically a born again runner, having had an injury from 35 to 40! Also basically I regularly change my focus, now doing longer stuff than I ever have. I do thing regular change of training is good for me. Try weights (leg strengthening), cross-trainer, cycling, swimming, yoga...anything to shock the system or add strength. I'll never do 1.24 half marathon, but I recently improved my, admitedly poor, marathon time.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com