Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David Staff Memorial

Smile David Staff Memorial

Well, what a belter of race it was this year.

The organinsers had changed the course due to engineering works near the reservoir dam.
    So this time it started on the opposite side of the pond to registration and headed straight to the bandstand. From there it turned sharp left up a steep but runnable climb to the exit of the woods. A right turn took us on some tarmac for no more than 2 mins, then a left turn allowed us to join the old route heading across the field to the bottom of the main climb to the tower. The usual anticlockwise loop followed, down Aggies staircase then up over the moor and round to below the tower, then down the way we came up. A quick blast down through the woods saw us finish at the bandstand.

Stats were 4 miles and 1200ft making it an 'A' Short.

I previously thought this as a mediocre sort of race (BS) but today's route has changed the race completely, and for the better IMHO (and also many of the other runners I spoke to).
    Well done to the orgainisers and marshalls ~ can I ask for the same route next year ??
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Well, what a belter of race it was this year.

The organinsers had changed the course due to engineering works near the reservoir dam.
    So this time it started on the opposite side of the pond to registration and headed straight to the bandstand. From there it turned sharp left up a steep but runnable climb to the exit of the woods. A right turn took us on some tarmac for no more than 2 mins, then a left turn allowed us to join the old route heading across the field to the bottom of the main climb to the tower. The usual anticlockwise loop followed, down Aggies staircase then up over the moor and round to below the tower, then down the way we came up. A quick blast down through the woods saw us finish at the bandstand.

Stats were 4 miles and 1200ft making it an 'A' Short.

I previously thought this as a mediocre sort of race (BS) but today's route has changed the race completely, and for the better IMHO (and also many of the other runners I spoke to).
    Well done to the orgainisers and marshalls ~ can I ask for the same route next year ??
    I have always thought the long run out (and back) in the woods was tedious and running along a dam wall is hardly fellrunning so - I agree!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I'm naturally bias, but I thought it was a cracking race! I can't remember many races where I've come away marveling at how exciting the course was - it really was enjoyable from start to finish with a bit of everything thrown in there. I'll certainly be back!
    "I train very hard, until I am sick. Sometimes I train like a foolish man who has no mind." -Hicham el-Guerrouj

Well massive thanks to everyone who took part.
    I only intended this to be a temporary route to avoid the UU works but there were quite a lot of positive comments. It has made it a shorter but steeper race, but I've not heard of anybody unhappy about that!

(It's also easier to flag and marshal than the original route too)

We'll have a think about it and maybe keep this new route.
    Jonathan
    Race Organiser

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnYourTelly View Post
    Well massive thanks to everyone who took part.
    I only intended this to be a temporary route to avoid the UU works but there were quite a lot of positive comments. It has made it a shorter but steeper race, but I've not heard of anybody unhappy about that!

(It's also easier to flag and marshal than the original route too)

We'll have a think about it and maybe keep this new route.
    Jonathan
    Race Organiser
    My vote goes for keeping yesterday's route. Really enjoyed it, thanks to everyone concerned.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    My vote goes for keeping yesterday's route...
    Ditto!

We listened to the votes & the 2014 route is being used again for 2015...

Cat. AS - £4 on the day - Sunday 29th November 2015 - 11:30 am start

Page just updated, hope to see some of you there; http://dashers.org.uk/events/david-staff-memorial
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Great to see last years route is being used again. Brill.
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Great to see last years route is being used again. Brill.
    Ditto!
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

We are doing a club recce of the route this Sunday coming (22nd November) at 10am

Meeting at the Sunnyhurst pub though, rather than the Kiosk, but, we will then run down to the official start (not far) and have a run around the route. All welcome!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC