Thread: Running and Cycling.

Running and Cycling.

Hello there, I have a rather simple question here, and I was hoping the forums would help me! I want to be able to run five miles. Can I achieve this goal by cycling three times a week, whilst going for a gradually increasing run once per week?

Thank you,

RunnerCycle.

I would say so yes, but if you experience any burning pain like i did when i first went for a run you need to be very careful what you do next!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

What's stopping you running 5 miles now? Could you do it slowly?

That's not meant as a challenge. I'm just trying to identify the rate-limiting step.

An interesting question. Running slowly enough to be called running and yet able to sustain this pace take some practice, usually you run too fast and then fade or stop altoghether. Other sports e.g. cycling help but different muscles are required and it's often the smaller stabilising muscles that can cause problems rather than the more major ones.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    An interesting question. Running slowly enough to be called running and yet able to sustain this pace take some practice, usually you run too fast and then fade or stop altoghether. Other sports e.g. cycling help but different muscles are required and it's often the smaller stabilising muscles that can cause problems rather than the more major ones.
    Cycling uses Vastus Lateralis way more than running, and Vastus Medialis way less i think. Cycling gives me more knee trouble than running and this can be the only explanation. I'd guess it would be better to maintain a fairly medium-ish pace so you know all the stabilisation muscles are firing up properly, if they aren't you'll definitely know. It's odd, he's on the cusp of doing something which altered my life forever and i can never now go back and do things differently.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned
    This is where I need to start back.
    Couple of runs couple on rollers just to start with.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Running is a lot harder on your body than cycling
    Until you crash

Banned
    Running and cycling is possible depending on your strength but you have to take note also the advice of others. Its then a bit tough to set multiple goals within the same category.