Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Todays' Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Isn't an aeropress just a glorified cafetiere?
    No. the main difference is that it is pushed through a paper filter so (a) you don't get the yacky scum and (b) it doesn't sit there over-brewing (over extracting) and getting bitter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    No. the main difference is that it is pushed through a paper filter so (a) you don't get the yacky scum and (b) it doesn't sit there over-brewing (over extracting) and getting bitter.
    What scum? Espresso machines have no such filters and there is no scum - and I do not leave it sitting - I instantly squash/pour. And paper filters - taste of wet paper. But I guess we all like what we are used to - my parents used to grind their own coffee, but then use a stove-top machine that "cooks" the ground coffee as it brings the water up to boiling point.
    Last edited by Mike T; 05-12-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    What scum? Espresso machines have no such filters and there is no scum - and I do not leave it sitting - I instantly squash/pour. And paper filters - taste of wet paper. But I guess we all like what we are used to - my parents used to grind their own coffee, but then use a stove-top machine that "cooks" the ground coffee as it brings the water up to boiling point.
    I was told by a barista that you don't want boiling water. 90-95 degs. apparently.

http://www.handloom.co.uk/learn/brew...afetieres.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    I was told by a barista that you don't want boiling water. 90-95 degs. apparently.

http://www.handloom.co.uk/learn/brew...afetieres.html
    In stove top machines the water has to boil to turn into steam to be forced through the ground coffee - that will cool it a bit, but it still, to me, has a cooked flavour to it.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    I have 3 Aeropress's, one at home and one at each office. I'd say they are a simplified cafetiere if anything. They're shockproof, really simple to use and clean afterwards, lightweight etc. I often take one in a minimal brew kit when travelling, working away, or on the mountains.

For beans I used to buy from Has-Bean, but I've heard Pact are good too. For supermarket coffee, anything by Grumpy Mule (sold in Waitrose - maybe elsewhere) is pretty good for pre-ground.

I like to mix things up though, I often use a Bialetti Moka Express stovetop at home, with Lavazza espresso. We also have a Nespresso machine at home (and in the office) which is good if you're in a rush.

You've got a hell of a set-up Vampire.

I've just enjoyed (NOT) a weak black coffee, made by somebody other than myself. It was instant too. Bloody rubbish. God's sake.
    I wont be (sh) long, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    They seem to have a funky, clever interactive website. Which flavor do you recommend? The website is trying to sell me "Inza Cauca" or whatever that is?
    I wont be (sh) long, dear.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Algerian Coffee store for me every time, though I'm sure I'm now on some police list from buying kilos of "Bolivian" from an Algerian source that arrive in discrete brown paper packaging.

https://www.algcoffee.co.uk/index.ph...egory&path=561

They have a great range of single origin beans which you can buy whole or have ground to your own spec.
    Also a wide range of speciaility coffee e.g.
    Kopi Luwak - The famous Civet coffee!! Kopi Luwak is coffee made from the coffee berries eaten by the Asian Palm Civet, said to choose only the ripest berries to eat. The raw beans pass through their system undigested and are later collected, cleaned and roasted.
    Yum!
    https://www.algcoffee.co.uk/index.ph...roduct_id=2420
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shlong View Post
    They seem to have a funky, clever interactive website. Which flavor do you recommend? The website is trying to sell me "Inza Cauca" or whatever that is?
    The link is broken now, you've crashed the site, i'm off to starbucks for a venti skinny wet eggnog latte if you're coming?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent