Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling seated v standing

Cycling seated v standing

Our old pal, Daz h, once told me to try and stay seated when I'm climbing, because I was struggling on a particular local hill where I was loosing traction near the top and wheel spinning and Daz told me to keep on the saddle.

I've been having a nosy at the 100 greatest climbs to see if there are any close to home, and there's an article on hill climbing technique.

It reinforces what Daz told me, but generally stays you should stay seated when climbing as a rule of thumb, unless it becomes extremely steep and it warrants getting up out the seat, otherwise you are wasting too much energy.

I prefer to get out of the saddle for pretty much every hill I come across. I've always felt most comfortable doing this, and seem to lose energy quicker if im climbing seated. Plus I'm faster out the saddle.

My theory is that I've trained myself both physically and mentally to deal with climbs better standing on the pedals, but I wonder if it's also because of my running background that being upright is better suited as apposed to sitting. So in affect im running but on my bike - if that makes sense?

Anyway, im wittering, but does anybody else favour getting out the saddle, or agree with my theory on being a runner and thus letting that help cycling out of the saddle, or do I fundamentally have to accept that I need to retrain myself mind and body to glue my arse to the seat?

I think it's about economical use of energy, Al. I get out of the saddle because it recruits more muscle groups and i struggle for muscle power full stop.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I put this down to what luke states
    when im on any bike I will stand while climbing over any terrain
    I,m also not convinced you do go faster standing than sitting this has got more to do with the gearing
    but just lately I have been putting the cycling on back burner and building up the miles running instead
    where the old saying says you get lazy when cycling which I do agree to a certain extent as the time you need to cover on each discipline to get the same out of each

If it's a particularly long hill I will stay seated. A number of cyclists I have spoken to suggest this, for quick bursts of power standing is great, but if it's a proper long climb I will stay seated.
    These chaps had some interesting ideas:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxGFOb1KTY

I never get out of the seat, unless it's a very short hill (eg, 20 seconds) and I'm trying to power through it to maintain speed.

But then I have got very low gears on my road-bike.

I'd get out of the saddle if I were sprinting. But otherwise I think it's either a waste of energy, or a reluctance to go into lower gear (or you don't have them - in which case it's a necessity).

I find I can get up most hills with my 11/32 compact without getting out of the saddle although for example Church Lane in Hebden Bridge or Ramsbottom Rake would have me beat and I've have to stand. Hardknott though is one hill ( and there are others ) where even getting out of the saddle with my 11/32 would have me beat and I'd use a different bike with an 11/34 and get up it without a problem. It's surprising the difference those extra 2 teeth make !

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I find I can get up most hills with my 11/32 compact without getting out of the saddle although for example Church Lane in Hebden Bridge or Ramsbottom Rake would have me beat and I've have to stand. Hardknott though is one hill ( and there are others ) where even getting out of the saddle with my 11/32 would have me beat and I'd use a different bike with an 11/34 and get up it without a problem. It's surprising the difference those extra 2 teeth make !
    Ah! That is the benefit of having the Wright Team Car following behind with 6 different bikes on the roof.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ah! That is the benefit of having the Wright Team Car following behind with 6 different bikes on the roof.
    You can never have enough bikes Breezy !

correct you can never have enough
    Last edited by porcupine; 08-12-2014 at 09:59 PM.

I tend to mix it up, I dont really find either sitting or standing noticeably different.

On long climbs I'll change from one to the other just to distract myself.
    pies