Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cycling seated v standing

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Cheers Lefty, I'll see if I can fit that into the domestic diary. What are you doing for feed? Carrying your own? Bringing your own to be carried in the van? Or are you planning tea-rooms / coffee-shops?
    I'm definately a Tea Room/coffee shop cyclist but I suspect it'll be a long enough day without lingering too long in a Cafe so the plan is for food, drink, spares etc and extra/change of clothes etc to be carried in the back up van. Just looking for a good day weather wise !

Cake stops, surely the main reason for heading out on the bike?
    pies

Did the 75 mile circuit ( which I've planned for my 65th birthday ride on the 29th March ) last Wednesday. 90200 ft of climb, definately had to stand up on the bottom part of Honister up to the cattle grid, the rest up to the top is easy in comparison ( 34-50 compact chainrings with 11-34 cassette ! ) My mate got up there standing with a 36- 50 compact and 11-26 cassette, don't know how he did it.

Hardknott was a different story as we were 65 miles into the ride and whilst I managed without getting off he had to get off on the 2 zig zags near the top. He's vowed to change his gearing for the 29th !

This ride also has a sting in the tail as the climb back up to Blea Tarn is a stinker on tired legs. Managed it in 6.5 hrs

Sunday 29th March at 9.30 from the NT car park nr the New Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale for my birthday ride if anyone fancies it.
    Last edited by Lefty; 09-03-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Sounds like a cracker! Wish I was up to that kind of route! Maybe very late this summer!!....though I doubt it! Hope all goes well for you Lefty
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Well the birthday ride went ahead yesterday despite the awful weather. We did it the other way round on Billy Blands advice to get better wind assistance ! Billy was due to come along but like several others decided not to when they saw the weather in the morning. One lad snapped his chain on Wrynose ( which we did first but after the warm up on the Blea Tarn climb) and then fell off on the steep bit higher up ! Wrynose is definitely harder from the Langdale side although Hardknott easier. Honister not too bad from the Buttermere side although it rears up near the top. A nice finish up the Red Bank from Grasmere to the finish in Langdale. 12 of us the end, soaked to the skin but all happy. 76 miles with 9500 ft of climb.

Chapeau Graham, weather in Lancaster at 08.00 was quite bright and I was kicking myself for using all my cycling pass-outs during the week. However, by 10.00 it had turned v. nasty.
    Last Thursday, a couple of us finished the ride by leaving the lunch stop at Wray and climbing into Roeburndale West then on broken tarmac by Haylot & Winder Farms to Littledale. The start of the final climb (to Winder Farm) is loose and very steep with tight S bends ..... on 22 (C.R.) x 28 (Sproc) and seated, the rear well was scrabbling; and with chest over the stem, the front wheel was light. Add a strong, gusting, side wind and I was chuffed to ride all the way.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Sounds like a good tough ride Wheeze. Could do with the weather picking up for the cycling trips out. Don't mind so much getting out running in poor weather but it can be a challenge on the bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'd be interested to know the forumites opinions on the toughest climbs around. For me some of the best climbs are in the Dales, Park Rash, Fleet Moss, Garsdale Head, Buttertubs, etc etc, not necessarily the toughest but for sheer enjoyment and wonderful surrounding they take some beating for me. Most of those climbs I would get up with my compact 11/32 without having to get out of the saddle. Hardknott ( From the Rskdale side ) and the bottom bit of Honister before the cattle grid I would never get up without getting out of the saddle and Harknott in the Whitton after 90+ miles is a push for me ( and lots of others ) near to me Church Lane in Hebden Bridge takes some beating and it's a stand up for me. For sheer drama try the cobbled Shibden Wall in Halifax, it's a gem
    Only just seen this but my pennies worth.
    Firstly I always sit down! My favourite area for climbing is Calderdale. Love the cobbles and Trooper Lane is my favourite of all. I have not yet succeeded on church lane in Ludenden. It’s crazy and must be 40 percent at the top. Love Shibden Wall which is not too steep but keeps coming at you. Thwaites Brow too for more cobbled heaven.
    In the Peak there are some brilliant little climbs near Matlock with Riber Road being a personal favourite. In the Lakes Hardknott stands out. West approach a little harder than the east with that 30 percent hairpin near the top. But I think the first 40 feet of Hardknott east is harder!,Wrynose east is a devilish slog and amongst the hardest climbs as it saves the steepest section to near the summit.
    I have to say that if I stand up I tend to spin. Also I prefer to climb in stirrups and find I can push harder and longer knowing I’ll not end up on the road if I grind to a halt!