Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cycling seated v standing

Standing for only short inclines and if I want to keep my speed up. The rest of the time I sit and twiddle. But then I have rather pathetic leg strength and have put a MTB cassette on my road bike to stop my legs dying. I have tried standing for bigger climbs but as soon as I sit down I feel like I can't breathe!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The best ones i've done are on and around the B6265...

Peat Lane out of Bewerley- daft really
    B6265 out of Pateley Bridge
    B6265 Dibble's Bridge to Fancarl Crag
    New Road Skyreholme to Fancarl Crag
    Yep people rave about Greenhow Hill but I think Peat Lane, Church road and Nought Bank are worse. Trouble is I have a choice of doing any one of them to leave home.....with cold legs!

I'll be doing a 65 mile bike ride for my 65 th birthday on the 29th March starting from the car park at the New DG in Langdale which will include Honister, Cold Fell Hardknott and Wrynose and the Blea Tarn climb. Everyone invited, got a support van going round and lots of friends coming along for the ride.

How about Tow Tops near Lindale in the S. Lakes, a la Tour de Staveley? 20% and lots of leaf mould - hence the need to stay seated. I was the only one to stay on the bike amongst our CTC group, stayed seated all the way; but the 'crosser does have 'bar end shifters and a 21spd MTB transmission ( 42/32/22 x 12 - 28 )
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Lefty, which way are you doing that circuit, cw or acw?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Tow tops, inter club hill climb hill, you should try Bigland fell from Haverthwaite over to Cartmel, it's a beast, once very nearly made it to the top on 42-18 keeled over in a heap about 50 yards from the top :-)

tow tops n bigland 2 of my local training climbs, bigland is part of my commute on way home.
    WOODZY.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'll be doing a 65 mile bike ride for my 65 th birthday on the 29th March starting from the car park at the New DG in Langdale which will include Honister, Cold Fell Hardknott and Wrynose and the Blea Tarn climb. Everyone invited, got a support van going round and lots of friends coming along for the ride.
    Stopping in the hut behind the ODG that weekend, so I might pop down and say hello if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Lefty, which way are you doing that circuit, cw or acw?
    Wheeze. We are doing it Anticlockwise. Going over the Red Bank first. I rather fancy Hardknott from the North which is the best way to climb it I think although perhaps the hardest and some of my friends who are hoping to come along have never cycled the passes before. Cold fell which is a great climb I think is a better climb that way round. If you fancy it please Wheeze please come along. Leaving from the car park at the new ( Stickle Barn ) DG in Langdale on the 29th March.

Be good to see you Graeme78 if you can make it.
    Last edited by Lefty; 15-02-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Cheers Lefty, I'll see if I can fit that into the domestic diary. What are you doing for feed? Carrying your own? Bringing your own to be carried in the van? Or are you planning tea-rooms / coffee-shops?