Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling seated v standing

I've always tended to attempt most climbs seated with the caveat that it feels relatively efficient. To my mind that's, at least partially, the key. As I begin to tire/struggle on a climb I change up a gear and stand on the peddles, once I'm going again I sit and go back through the gears. I tend to use the gear below the hardest I can push generally. When I was younger I guess staying seated was a 'point of honour' to me and my cycling mates. There is also the traction issue, and positional efficiency i.e. getting over the back wheel so you're weight is over it more. I think you might assume that standing puts you over the wheel more but I don't think it does, also it un-weights the front. To a degree this is more important when on the mtb, but I have, on occasion, lost traction on climbs when stood.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I'd be interested to know the forumites opinions on the toughest climbs around. For me some of the best climbs are in the Dales, Park Rash, Fleet Moss, Garsdale Head, Buttertubs, etc etc, not necessarily the toughest but for sheer enjoyment and wonderful surrounding they take some beating for me. Most of those climbs I would get up with my compact 11/32 without having to get out of the saddle. Hardknott ( From the Rskdale side ) and the bottom bit of Honister before the cattle grid I would never get up without getting out of the saddle and Harknott in the Whitton after 90+ miles is a push for me ( and lots of others ) near to me Church Lane in Hebden Bridge takes some beating and it's a stand up for me. For sheer drama try the cobbled Shibden Wall in Halifax, it's a gem

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I find I can get up most hills with my 11/32 compact without getting out of the saddle although for example Church Lane in Hebden Bridge or Ramsbottom Rake would have me beat and I've have to stand. Hardknott though is one hill ( and there are others ) where even getting out of the saddle with my 11/32 would have me beat and I'd use a different bike with an 11/34 and get up it without a problem. It's surprising the difference those extra 2 teeth make !
    That explains why my close ratio of 11-25 makes it hard on the tough climbs.
    As a rule I'll stay in the saddle to conserve energy and retain traction with the rear wheel, but a few revs whilst out of the seat helps keep up the speed.
    I've not had to walk on a climb yet. Ive done Nick o pendle from both sides, Stang Top Lane Roughlee, Barley to Newchurch, Malham up to the tarn and also Black Hill out of Sabden. They are steep and I'm definitely out of the saddle on the last four.
    Maybe I should change the cassette to a 11-32 which was on the bike when I bought it, but I prefer the closer ratio's so I'll just have to ensure the 'engine' gets trained for a wider power band
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    As a rule I'll stay in the saddle to conserve energy and retain traction with the rear wheel, but a few revs whilst out of the seat helps keep up the speed.
    I tend to ask myself "Now what would Pantani do?"
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    I then take some EPO.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I'd be interested to know the forumites opinions on the toughest climbs around. For me some of the best climbs are in the Dales, Park Rash, Fleet Moss, Garsdale Head, Buttertubs, etc etc, not necessarily the toughest but for sheer enjoyment and wonderful surrounding they take some beating for me. Most of those climbs I would get up with my compact 11/32 without having to get out of the saddle. Hardknott ( From the Rskdale side ) and the bottom bit of Honister before the cattle grid I would never get up without getting out of the saddle and Harknott in the Whitton after 90+ miles is a push for me ( and lots of others ) near to me Church Lane in Hebden Bridge takes some beating and it's a stand up for me. For sheer drama try the cobbled Shibden Wall in Halifax, it's a gem

Rosedale Chimney's interesting.

I just got myself a triple with 12-30 cassette, should do the job.
    Oh and which direction is best for the coal road between Dent and Garsdale?

I have to confess, until recently I still thought 'standard' gearing was 11-24/26 with 42/52....ish! Triple chainsets were for touring. However stuff changes!

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme78 View Post
    I just got myself a triple with 12-30 cassette, should do the job.
    Oh and which direction is best for the coal road between Dent and Garsdale?
    Graeme78, I presume you mean the road that goes up past Dent station and down the other side past Garsdale Station. It's definately harder from the Garsdale side, the bit just past the station and under the railway bridge is particularly steep ( 20% ) and an out of saddle for me even with my 11/32 ( 32/50 front ) it's a cracking climb either way with tremendous views of the Dales to be had.
    The road on the other side of Dentdale ( White Shaw Moss ) is also a cracker and it's gated so some respite to be had. The road back down through Kingsdale back to Ingleton is cycling heaven.

Graeme78, I presume you mean the road that goes up past Dent station and down the other side past Garsdale Station. It's definately harder from the Garsdale side, the bit just past the station and under the railway bridge is particularly steep ( 20% ) and an out of saddle for me even with my 11/32 ( 32/50 front ) it's a cracking climb either way with tremendous views of the Dales to be had.
    The road on the other side of Dentdale ( White Shaw Moss ) is also a cracker and it's gated so some respite to be had. The road back down through Kingsdale back to Ingleton is cycling heaven.
    That's the one. I really need to get my finger out and get up to the Dales and try some of these, they just look brilliant.

Ingleton - Dent is on my list to do a.s.a.p.!! I'll have to look at Garsdale section!