Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMI and running

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post

• Will gaining weight make me slower?

YES, Definitely.

Will gaining weight make me slower?

Not necessarily. If the weight you gain is muscle you might be stronger and faster. One of the problems with BMI is that it doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle; muscle weighs more, that's why a lot of very fit people in sports like rugby have a BMI score that is in the obese category.
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post

Will gaining weight make me slower?

Not necessarily. If the weight you gain is muscle you might be stronger and faster. One of the problems with BMI is that it doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle; muscle weighs more, that's why a lot of very fit people in sports like rugby have a BMI score that is in the obese category.
    but those rugby players in the obese category are not likely to be fast at fell running, presumably

Just wanted some opinions really.

At the moment if I calculate my BMI I come up as underweight (it's 17.5). I am pretty skinny but eat what I think is a healthy diet and my mum and sister are a similar size, and don't think I look unhealthy. However, the NHS website seems to think I need to worry about it and I was wondering whether anyone's got any advice. Should I be trying to gain the extra half a stone to hit a 'healthy' weight and if so...

• What do I eat to gain weight healthily whilst also running 3 times a week (I guess I'm averaging about 20 miles a week at the moment)?
    • Will gaining weight make me slower? - I feel like being little means I've got less to lug uphill, and less to bang down through my knees coming down, but this is probably psychological.
    • Will not gaining weight make me injury prone? Have read that underweight female runners are specially prone to stress fractures.

I'd like to be able to run as far and fast as my body's able. It's also not impossible that I'll be thinking about kids in the not-too-distant future and I wonder whether pregnancy might take less out of me if I've a bit more meat on my bones.
    it's a good question but isn't it primarily a question for medical/health professionals together with nutritional and/or sports-nutritional health expertise? if it's something you're concerned about from the medical side of things then put that before anyone's views on what makes you faster.

And gin not beer, which is probably less wonderful, and will of course stop before I start properly thinking about babies (I quite fancy doing some longer runs first; am still new to it all!)
    well if you choose Hendricks gin you can serve it with cucumber (as intended) and get one of your five a day at the same time!

Keeping eye on your menstral cycle would be just as if not more important re making sure you are not over doing it/under eating - if this starts to become irregualr/non existent then you should seek advice

Normally My BMI is 23 but when I calculated BMI after work out it somewhat betweet 20 and 21.
    The site which I used to calculate BMI is https://howtocalculatebmi.online

The bigger the bmi the quicker you get down the hill because gravity sucks you towards the Earth's core. If you are heavier this gives gravity a helping hand. If you have more fat you will feed your mussels with condensed energy so u can run for longer. A lot of top runners only look thin cos their pics were taken at the end of races when all the energy was used up, they didn't want their pic taken at the start as they were probably a bit tubby at the start cos of all their condensed energy.

Quote Originally Posted by #bob# View Post
    The bigger the bmi the quicker you get down the hill because gravity sucks you towards the Earth's core.
    Thanks #b#, that explains why I'm such a rubbish descender. I clearly need to eat more pies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by #bob# View Post
    The bigger the bmi the quicker you get down the hill because gravity sucks you towards the Earth's core. If you are heavier this gives gravity a helping hand. If you have more fat you will feed your mussels with condensed energy so u can run for longer. A lot of top runners only look thin cos their pics were taken at the end of races when all the energy was used up, they didn't want their pic taken at the start as they were probably a bit tubby at the start cos of all their condensed energy.
    Nice to see you're alive and kicking #bob#. I thought that tight gash might have finished you off. I wonder if Steve-T has any advice on your BMI theories.