Thread: What winter kit?

Question What winter kit?

Hi,

I'm new to fell running this year and I'm starting to think about what kit I'm going to need for the coming autumn and winter seasons. I've looked around at jackets and trousers, but there's so much choice about it's making my head spin. What would you recommend as decent performing and also reasonably priced? I'm prepared to spend up to a hundred quid on a good quality jacket that will hopefully last for years. And what about hat and gloves, any suggestions?

thanks

Master and MR

Re: What winter kit?

tag you will get so many answers from everyone about different stuff

i use
    montane windproof and waterproof jackets ( i use featherlite h20
    ron hill cheap bottoms with zip
    my cycling bianchi bobblehat
    thinsulate gloves
    ron hill normal and waterproof tracksters
    odel baselayers
    helly hansen baselayers
    pete bland bum bag
    silva compass
    footie refs whistle

apart from edale race this year ive not had problems, some runners recommended a balaclava
    a lot depends on how you are
    personally i dont mind the cold and normally set off with just my vest and shorts but remember gear that you take has to keep you alive if you get injured whilst out on the fells and not just in races
    you become very cold once you stop moving

im still unsure about whats waterproof and whats not where jackets are concerned , i sweat a lot and at times you think the jacket has let water in but it hasnt.
    good luck and enjoy it
    Last edited by daz h; 05-08-2007 at 06:35 PM.

I'm at the other end of the scale to DazH. I've got a silva compass and climbing whistle. Clothing wise I'll have a pair of socks and some seal skin socks over the top. I'll run in vest and shorts when racing if its cold like it was at winter hill this year I'll wear a T-Shirt as well. I have a helly hanson hat and a pair of thinnish gloves. I carry a cheapo breathable regatta cagoule and trousers. In fact my winter and summer kit is pretty similar really. I don't get cold to easily but have enough kit to make sure if i do get injured I'm not going to die of hypothermia too quickly

Winter for what?

In the mountains (Lakes, Snowdonia, Highlands) and treat it differently to a fell run in the peak where you can be off the hill in 10 minutes (Kinder/Bleaklow excepted).

For £100 quid you'd easily pick up a lightweight jacket, if for lower level peak type runs a montane shower proof jacket will be fine. In fact i think they'd do for most conditions. Look around for jackets on sale, I reckon they are all much of a muchness.

I very very rarely wheere water proof bottoms, I've worn them once this year at NY's when it was peeing it down. A lightweight waterproof jacket, gloves and thermal top and leggins would be my first buys.

Generally a thermal with a T shirt over the top is fine for running in most winter conditions as long as it isn't throwing it down. It's just keeping warm while stopped is the problem.
    In Snowdonia I generally where lycra or slightly thicker legins (dont look great but very functional) and a long sleeve thermal top. I find that even down to about -10 as long as I'm fully covered I'm Ok. This may mean leggins long sleeved thermal, thin gloves and thermal balaclava. Without Gloves I'd be in pain.

I also use a goretex paclite jacket for a decent waterproof or a windproof. On long runs I'll also carry a thin fleece or rab VR top. On very long remote runs in the highlands then I'd also take a blizzard bag type thing because help is a long way off should something happen.

On my feet I wear normal fell shoes with sealskinz socks.

Daz I've got a H2O jacket and in my opinion it definitely isn't waterproof. Its ok for the bumbag on a 'changeable day' but I wouldn't rely on it in a heavy downpour in the winter and it would be a liability if injured on the tops in bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Generally a thermal with a T shirt over the top is fine for running in most winter conditions as long as it isn't throwing it down. It's just keeping warm while stopped is the problem.
    Why would you wear a T-Shirt over a technical thermal layer? Surely this would negate the technical properties of the base layer (wicking/breathing,etc) and would accelerate cooling when stopped due to the T-Shirt not being 'technical'?

I don't know, I've always found the T-shirt acts as an almost wind breaker layer, I know it shouldn't work, but I've used it quite a lot, especially in winter ultras.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    Daz I've got a H2O jacket and in my opinion it definitely isn't waterproof. Its ok for the bumbag on a 'changeable day' but I wouldn't rely on it in a heavy downpour in the winter and it would be a liability if injured on the tops in bad weather.

i think your right
    ive had 3x montane tops now and they all seem to let water in
    i was looking at the one emmilou had on
    OMM type , now that was def waterproof im sure
    to be honest ive run out of cash to spend on lightweight tops, i managed to get round edale with just my baselayer and shorts on but agree that if i was injured the montane top could be a worry
    what type of waterproof top do you use bladerunner