Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leeds based beginner

Leeds based beginner

Hello Fell Runners

I am a runner based in Morley, Leeds. I love running off road and especially love running up hills so it's a bit strange that despite almost 30 years on this planet, I've never actually got round to try fell running, although I've talked about "giving it a go" for about 15 of those years. So, enough talk: time for action!

I've never really run in races or with clubs but this (last?) year I ran in a few XC races with my university team (Sheffield) however as I am based in Leeds I have not found it easy to get to training. So I was wondering whether it would be better to join a club closer to home.

Also, would anybody be able to suggest some good locations around Leeds and/or Kirklees to start? My girlfriend and I enjoy off road running but at the moment only really go to Chevin, so I am hoping to get out and see a lot more.

Thanks!

Matthew

welcome Mathew, I'm sure many of my Yorkshire brethren will be along with sage advice bit Ilkley is great and not too far away, also Shipley Glen.
    Certainly the dales.....

Did you run with ShUOc when in Sheffield?

Hi Ian,
    Thanks for that. At the moment I am with the Sheffield Athletics and XC team but the XC season seems to have been wrapped up for this year. I assume ShUOc is the orienteering/fell club? I am thinking that I could join them because I am in Sheffield a fair bit but I spend my evenings and weekends in Leeds, so was wondering whether somewhere closer to home would be better.
    I think a trip to Ilkley is in order.
    Thanks,
    Matthew

Quite a few ShUoc members run with dark peak so you may be able to get a run out after uni before you go home?

Quote Originally Posted by corredor View Post
    Hi Ian,
    Thanks for that. At the moment I am with the Sheffield Athletics and XC team but the XC season seems to have been wrapped up for this year. I assume ShUOc is the orienteering/fell club? I am thinking that I could join them because I am in Sheffield a fair bit but I spend my evenings and weekends in Leeds, so was wondering whether somewhere closer to home would be better.
    I think a trip to Ilkley is in order.
    Thanks,
    Matthew

Ilkley is definitely a good start, there's a good variety of routes you can try on Ilkley moor and it's accessible for parking or via train etc. so should be worthwhile visiting. I would advise parking on wells road near the moor and running from there, if you pick an OS map up you'll be able to find several different route variations quite easily. Then it's a short walk back into Ilkley town where there are several cafes and pubs for after if you fancy that sort of thing.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Ilkley Moor and Blubberhouses Moor (to Beamsley Beacon or Round Hill) are definitely great places to run off road if you are really getting bored of the Chevin (seems unlikely) and haven't time to get out in to the Dales.

If you fancy exploring the Chevin more, then from April to September, Horsforth Fellandale train there on Wednesday evenings. We're (whoops, given it away there ) all based in and around Leeds, and very often do off road club runs during the winter, either longer runs at weekends or headtorch runs during the week.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Hello Matthew, have a look at P&B if it's fells you're interested in. We're not a huge club but have picked up a few new members recently who are good runners but quite new to the fells, so perhaps similar situation to yourself.

We all race reguarly and have a few group runs up in the Dales coming up as people begin training for Three Peaks and other longer races.

Have a look at the website and you can see what we get up to as well as the ethos of the club: www.pudseybramley.com

You'd be very welcome to join us for a Tuesday eve training session as a try out with no obligation to join. Any questions, feel free to drop me an email via [email protected]

you cant beat a bit of P & B.......from a Morley based P & B runner. Give us a shout via the website & I can soon show you a few trails!

Who's this? I don't know anyone's Forum Code Names!

edit: actually I figured it out, aye up Gnarly Mac!
    Last edited by GrahamPilling; 07-01-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Don't forget that the Peak District is only an hour (or so) from Leeds.