Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leeds based beginner

Hi All,

It has been a busy end of the week and I've not been able to get back here. Thanks for your comments and advice!

Ian - Thanks for the suggestion! I think I will see what happens when it starts to get lighter in the evening.

Rob - Thanks for the advice! I have dug out an OS map and it seems there are some striking routes. I have also found a 10 mile walk in a guide I have lying around that starts at Cow and Calf so I might try that as well.

DinoF - I will also have a look at Blubberhouses Moor (great name!). We are intending to try a "mountain race" (carrera de montaña) near my girlfriend's home in Spain, which has a lot of steps... so I'm at least going to try and get some sessions on the steps at Otley Chevin before then. My girlfriend likes Chevin a lot and works in Leeds so I might try and get her along to a session when the weather becomes more suited to the Spanish taste.

Graham - Thanks for that. I think I will try a session to see what it is like. I will be in touch!

wrecker - Thanks a lot for your offer! I will be in touch! It would be good to know someone nearby. Are there any trails around Morley worth running? I am getting a bit tired of the roads up and down to Batley.

Vegan - Yes, especially from where I live, Google Maps tells me I am more or less equidistant from the two!

Thanks again for your help!

Matthew

Can you get to leeds train station easily? The settle - Carlisle line effectively starts from there so that opens up a wealth of possibilities.
    Train to Ribblehead, whernside and ingleborough, off park fell and into the Station inn (er, next to the station!) for some well earned rehydration.
    Marvellous day out!

I live in Drighlington a few miles from Morley, if you’re looking for hilly, off road runs then you don’t have to look much further than Tong and Fulneck valleys if you don’t have the time to travel farther afield. Both are within easy running distance of Morley and you can easily get a 10mile run with 1800ft of climb in just by zig zagging across the valley/s using the numerous footpaths, cart tracks and the Leeds Country way
    I've learnt so much from my mistakes, I'm actually thinking about making a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Datt View Post
    I live in Drighlington a few miles from Morley, if you’re looking for hilly, off road runs then you don’t have to look much further than Tong and Fulneck valleys if you don’t have the time to travel farther afield. Both are within easy running distance of Morley and you can easily get a 10mile run with 1800ft of climb in just by zig zagging across the valley/s using the numerous footpaths, cart tracks and the Leeds Country way
    Thanks Datt! I've just discovered the Leeds Country Way as access to the bit around the quarry near Batley (I live at the Tingley end so this is the nearest access point for me). It looks like I can follow it all the way to Tong and Fulneck so I will give that a go soon!

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Can you get to leeds train station easily? The settle - Carlisle line effectively starts from there so that opens up a wealth of possibilities.
    Train to Ribblehead, whernside and ingleborough, off park fell and into the Station inn (er, next to the station!) for some well earned rehydration.
    Marvellous day out!
    Thanks! The train is definitely an option. For some reason I hadn't thought of it and was trying to work out routes that went into the Peak District via Sheffield so that I could finish near a pub without having to drive back. It's weird how you get tunnel vision with routines! I (used to) catch the train to Sheffield for work so in my head train = Sheffield, even though I go via Leeds...

Quote Originally Posted by corredor View Post
    Thanks Datt! I've just discovered the Leeds Country Way as access to the bit around the quarry near Batley (I live at the Tingley end so this is the nearest access point for me). It looks like I can follow it all the way to Tong and Fulneck so I will give that a go soon!
    I ran the LCW in a day last year. I definitely recommend Tingley all the way round to Thorner via Fulneck, Horsforth, Harewood and Bardsey. After that, not so much...
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Have you tried running around Howley moor? From Tingley roundabout head towards Dewsbury. About a mile down the road there is the church on the left. Opposite is a car garage (Peugeot I think). Go up the road with the garage on your left. About 400-500 yards up you will find footpath signs on your left into the woods. Or pass them and when the road turns 90 degrees right go straight on over the boulders. There are various tracks around there to get anything from a couple of miles up to 10 miles with a bit of zig zagging. If you keep heading down you can go left and end up on Soothill Lane or right and onto Scotchman lane, they'll lead back towards Tingley/Morley respectively

Howley Moor

Have you tried running around Howley moor? From Tingley roundabout head towards Dewsbury. About a mile down the road there is the church on the left. Opposite is a car garage (Peugeot I think). Go up the road with the garage on your left. About 400-500 yards up you will find footpath signs on your left into the woods. Or pass them and when the road turns 90 degrees right go straight on over the boulders. There are various tracks around there to get anything from a couple of miles up to 10 miles with a bit of zig zagging. If you keep heading down you can go left and end up on Soothill Lane or right and onto Scotchman lane, they'll lead back towards Tingley/Morley respectively

Thanks 3755, yes I do know the one! Although now I have a name to put to the place I call "near the quarry". In fact, I have a way of getting there via Rein Road, which takes you to the Leeds Country Way by the football club opposite the church. If you're coming from Tingley Bar, there is a footpath immediately on the right after the bridge over the motorway. That's a nicer way of getting there.
    In the winter, with the snow, it felt like my own bit of wilderness when the whiteout removed all signs of life.

From the Amazon review..
    Avoid, heavily spamvertised.
    I would avoid this like the plague. There are a ton of obviously bought astroturfing reviews, and a massive spam posting campaign on various running forums trying to drive traffic here. It stinks.

Also, the picture of "Steve Winzo" is a piece of Creative Commons stock photography, as fake as this spammy book:

http://fotomelia.com/?download=portr...bres-de-droits

..or behold all the spammy pages using it as a fake user pic via google image search:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/fakewinzo

Scambag alert!
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferTaylor View Post
    After years of running, both for fun and competitively, one of the biggest mistake I made was running because others told me I needed to run. Once I endured my first injury, I realized that I ran for myself.

Running is pure happiness, joy and 100% satisfaction. I could never achieved it if I never wanted to 100%. This is why running is excellent. So for some advice, just start slow, rest, and repeat your daily routine to keep things consistent and normal for your body.

I learned all this through expereince and reading books. One book that changed my life and I highly recommend is: The best ulitimate Running Guide by Wizno:

Link: http://amzn.to/1JIvR0l

Get it now while its cheap! Thanks and Good Luck

-----
    Best Ultimate Running Guide: http://amzn.to/1JIvR0l

Life Habits for Life: http://amzn.to/1hgiPMh

Everyday Running Blog: http://stevewizno.wix.com/runla
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!