Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utmb 2015

Another question (sorry) but what about insurance? I tried to get it through my usual company but they said they would only insure me for the trip, not the race. Reading the UTMB blurb it states that insurance is mandatory.....

We use a French company called aux vieux camper for our annual cover. We can do anything below 4000m and within so many 1000 km from a French border. We cannot skydive but can run, climb, mountaineer, ski off piste, canoe down rivers.....

I used Snowcard.co.uk, I took out 'Hill Walker' level of insurance last two times and this is less than £20 now at a quick check (without adjusting sliders) - suggests covers 'Tour De Mont Blanc' and alpine walking below 3500m. Need to look over the cover, but there is a 'mountain marathon' level of insurance which might be more appropriate (as it is a running event really, even if much of it is spent walking for most of us), still only about £23 and surprisingly considered a riskier activity than ice climbing, big walls, alpinist. They obviously haven't seen me in action haha.

Quick detour back to shoes. I share the sentiments on Trailrocs in mud so might be fine, but maybe not worth the risk for what might be big event of the year. When in doubt I've gone roclite in past, they certainly have the grip and the great feel for the trail due to lower levels of forefoot cushion than most trail shoes - which is also their drawback on long events I guess. Though... if I had to pick a shoe from experience right now without knowing conditions I'd go for a Roclite 295 or 315. But I've not worn much but Roclites in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner1975 View Post
    Another question (sorry) but what about insurance? I tried to get it through my usual company but they said they would only insure me for the trip, not the race. Reading the UTMB blurb it states that insurance is mandatory.....
    IMO the Austrian Alpine Club insurance is unbeatable, as membership covers you for the whole year, and there is no faff about declaring existing medical conditions. Also, unlike conventional travel insurance, it gets cheaper as you get older.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Accommodation sorted
    If anyway hasn't started looking yet, I'd suggest you start now - getting pretty tight especially if you want more central

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    Accommodation sorted
    If anyway hasn't started looking yet, I'd suggest you start now - getting pretty tight especially if you want more central
    Can imagine, especially if you don't want to spend the earth. Got sorted reasonably quickly this time to make sure could get something reasonably priced. Dorming in Chamoniard Volant (which is cheap and had it recommended to me).

Just chiming in on the footwear debate .... I wore Brooks Cascadia 9s for last year's UTMB and although they are very comfortable, I could have used more grip earlier on in the race. The early rain meant that the climb up the Col du Bonhomme was just churned mud and a pair of Mudclaws would have been a major advantage at that point, the Cascadia 9 does not have the most aggressive sole and it was hard work as a result. In retrospect, I wish I had put a spare pair of shoes in my drop bag at Courmayeur as even though the rest of the race was dry it would have been nice to change into something that wasn't damp and encrusted with mud. My feet suffered as the race went on, huge blisters under my toes and I ended up minus 6 toenails .... more a consequence of the wet than anything I reckon. Dunno what I'm going to use for the 2015 CCC - might try a pair of Hokas, hope springs eternal that they might fit me.

I tried the Ultra 290 at the Inov8 trade stand in Chamonix and really didn't like them, the arch felt very intrusive and not as comfortable as the Brooks.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Just chiming in on the footwear debate .... I wore Brooks Cascadia 9s for last year's UTMB and although they are very comfortable, I could have used more grip earlier on in the race. The early rain meant that the climb up the Col du Bonhomme was just churned mud and a pair of Mudclaws would have been a major advantage at that point, the Cascadia 9 does not have the most aggressive sole and it was hard work as a result. In retrospect, I wish I had put a spare pair of shoes in my drop bag at Courmayeur as even though the rest of the race was dry it would have been nice to change into something that wasn't damp and encrusted with mud. My feet suffered as the race went on, huge blisters under my toes and I ended up minus 6 toenails .... more a consequence of the wet than anything I reckon. Dunno what I'm going to use for the 2015 CCC - might try a pair of Hokas, hope springs eternal that they might fit me.

I tried the Ultra 290 at the Inov8 trade stand in Chamonix and really didn't like them, the arch felt very intrusive and not as comfortable as the Brooks.
    Just looking at them and from what Benshep says I'm not sure the Ultra 290 could offer the best grip for these events as even in dry event years I bet their are quite prolonged muddy bits on quite steep slopes on most courses. Still got months to decide, but new Scarpa Sparks grip isn't doing it for me on muddy slopes right now (guess that explains the discounting). Fellraisers are great, but probably too much lug for a comfortable ride on the harder surfaces? Lots of fun experimentation to come
    Last edited by Drunkeneuphoria; 17-02-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: correct shoe name

Shoes are so personal. Slipper-like fit (to avoid foot movement in shoe) without pinch points or internal prominences to cause chafing is number 1 priority. Grip comes second. Cushioning third. (My personal experience and opinion.) La Sportiva Crosslites were my miracle shoe for everything up to Lakeland 100 and UTMB, no blisters, no nothing, dry or wet. If you can find something that fits as well as Crosslites fitted me, you'll be sorted. Needle and haystack come to mind. (Damn La Sportiva for discontinuing Crosslites.)

I've done some research on the insurance front and found the cheapest to be Sportscover Direct https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/ac...pup-insurance/
    Specific for the event only, so normal single trip insurance would still need to be purchased. Look under the list of sports for "Specific Ultra's on foot" and the UTMB races are listed. £39 i was quoted.