Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Back 2015

Dragon's Back 2015

Morning everyone - long time lurker, but I don't really post on here very much...

I'm in for the 2015 Dragon's Back so thought I'd start a thread on here as there seemed to be some discussion regarding the last running on the FRA Forums.

Any advice, past or future competitors comments etc. welcome. I'm based in Cardiff and will be doing lots of recces over the next few months. Definitely a Welsh 3000's day and also some of the mid-Wales sections.

Hope to meet some of you and look forward to some discussion!

yep it was a rather interesting thread 18 months ago. I really enjoyed it.

Missus and I are marshalling on the event, we also marshalled the previous one so have a pretty good idea of how it goes. I also have a full set of the previous route maps, you are welcome to look at if you want a trip out to near Llandovery - we live on the route, if you want to recce this bit one day. I know most of the route pretty well from many years in mid-Wales if you want any general tips about areas.

Must add that the route will obviously be tweeked and changed a bit and the maps will probably be a different format, so this is not "secret info" that I would be passing on.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Cheers molehill, that would be great...! I realise the route will be different but I guess if I hit most of the big peaks I won't be far wrong...

I was supposed to be in Llandovery last Saturday evening as was doing a run around the Epynt Way but cut it short after getting being battered by the elements on the East section.

Will be doing a recce of the final Brecons sections sometime soon so will update the thread then, Cheers :-)

I thought it was a case of the route being given out each day? Are people just going for a general 'recce' around the perceived area of the route, or have I got that wrong?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

The route is given out at the start each day, with the compulsory checkpoints marked, you chose your own route between. Mountain marathon style but with some restrictions etc.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

That's what I thought Moley. I guess you can at least recce areas you think it may go. Major tops etc.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    That's what I thought Moley. I guess you can at least recce areas you think it may go. Major tops etc.
    You can't go far wrong by doing all the Welsh 3,000m for a first day reccie
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    You can't go far wrong by doing all the Welsh 3,000m for a first day reccie
    Then you would have to find something else for the afternoon.

Yep - Shane has said the route will be different for 2015, but you can assume it's going over most of, (if not all) the 3000's including Crib Goch, (weather permitting).

I'm familiar with the 3000's and the Brecons, (Day 1 & 5) but haven't really done any of the mid section, (apart from Pumlumon Fawr which I did as part of an across Wales run). It's not so much the route, more of an overall appreciation of the area and terrain that I'm interested in. I know the first time I went up into the Glyderau it was a rude awakening!

I think following the 2012 route, maybe taking a detour here-and-there to a nearby peak would be a good start. Having watched the video, Shane made quite a lot of "adjustments" to make the course easier. He's said that in 2015 he will expect runners to be prepared for the terrain and won't make those concessions!