Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BGR 2014 roundup

FITC is one relatively recently factor I'd guess, plus this forum, and the fact it's (probably) easier c/w and many more people know the route c/w
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Great seeing these stats, I was one who didn't get off the ground having the confidence shaken with a DNF on Fellsman. Seeing the success rates is very interesting and puts what lies ahead into more perspective.

Did manage to support of five successful rounds, so a little under 10% of them (more a personal stay that one). Should've been 6 but illness ruled me out of one. All great days out though, may do some more this year if time allows.

Graham:

Don't worry I won't tell :-)

>It seems that there has been a significant change from anti-clockwise to clockwise and I wondered why, in your opinion, that has come about?
    (The quoting mechanism doesn't seem to be working for me)

Why is CW so popular? Hmm. I think one reason might be the Dark Peak train - they go CW; Richard Askwith went CW in FITC; perhaps more people who had already done the round CW came forward to help so more then went CW themselves. Certainly highly skewed figures.

When I began looking at the round the only real online source was Mike Sadula's site and the basic schedule going ACW was a lot tighter than CW so that might have made me look to CW.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Thank you.

I appreciate that if many/most of your support team did it, say, clockwise they are going to be more comfortable etc etc.

I think what interested me was why the change came about when it did because the stats are quite striking.

I don't know much about the BGR but I was supposed to know a little about people and group behaviour and the change in the received wisdom of the better option is interesting.

Graham
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Bob

Thanks.

I was replying to Andrew and the posts crossed.

I used to work in human resources/organisation development and people behaviour is endlessly fascinating.

Graham

Graham

The chart on my site is just completions, no split between CW & ACW. The red bars are for years with less than the average number of successes, green ones for years with more successes. I don't have the historical data to do the splits for anything but the last three years.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Two other possible reasons for popularity of clockwise rounds are: i) that folk are 'following in Bob Graham's footsteps'. Bob did it clockwise and people may be determindly doing the same; and perhaps ii) it is considered to be the fastest way per se. All the fastest 5 completions have been in a clockwise direction. The fastest anti-clockwise round is Steve Birkinshaw's 17-09. Whatever pace schedule you are aiming at, maybe it is perceived to be faster that way round.

Steve

Far be it from me to debate with someone writing a book on the subject...but I struggle with your first point since the overwhelming majority of historical finishes were anti-clockwise so I don't accept hommage to BG.

Easier, quicker and inspired by Askwith- I will buy that.

Anyway I expect to see a full chapter: C-A/C?- The Psychology of Group Behaviour.

But enough. If I show any more interest people will think I am planning my own winter, unsupported A/C round!

Graham

Interesting discussion for a cold January night

Graham, if you fancy 5 x 500 ft hill-reps past the White House tomorrow night get your Hope charged up and I *might* meet you (alternatively I could be dog walking by the canal followed by a pint in the Lion)
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Hill-reps? You track runners!

How about running up Gt Whernside on Thursday evening? And then running down.