Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Films

Super Moderator
    Looks like you overlooked your favourite from the Carry on . . . series of films
    Poacher turned game-keeper

My faves in no particular order... I am by no means a film buff/geek, as the list will no doubt show... don't think I've been to the cinema in nearly 20 years...

Falling Down
    Cincinnati Kid
    The Good The Bad & The Ugly
    For a Few Dollars More
    Cool Hand Luke
    Around The World In 80 Days
    I.D. (most football/hooligan films are absolute cack… but this one about the four undercover police, and the main character's addiction and descent into hooliganism, and his eventual breakdown, is absolutely brilliant).
    Last edited by Travs; 09-07-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    3 French Directors.
    Le Boucher Claude Chabrol
    Pierrot Le Fou Jean-Luc Godard
    La Nuit Americaine Francois Truffaut

3 Italian
    Blow Up Michelangelo Antonioni
    1900 Bernardo Bertolucci
    Death In Venice Luchino Visconti

3 USA
    Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid Sam Peckinpah
    Love & Friendship Walt Stillman
    A Touch of Evil Orson Welles

3 English
    Point Blank John Boorman
    Get Carter Stephen Kay
    In Bruges Martin McDonagh

3 Swedish

Ingmar Bergman x3

3 Japanese

Kurosawa x3
    I don’t think I’ve seen any of those French and Italian films - I’ll have a look on Netflix and see if any are on, thanks.

I might’ve seen a couple of Ingmar Berman’s and I have definitely seen quite a few of Kurosawa’s - 7 Samurai, Ran, Rashomon, Kagemusha for sure. I’ve seen all of your American recommendations and the English, other than John Boorman’s point blank. I’ve seen loads of other Boormans though -Deliverence obvs, Excalibur, Emerald Forest, Hope and Glory and two or three others.

I love film lists 😊

Another great film seen not so long ago - Captain America which is absolutely brilliant and absolutely isn’t a super hero film (although the whole family in it are super and heroes)

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Looks like you overlooked your favourite from the Carry on . . . series of films
    Well Andrew I have scoured my shelves and I seem to be, alas, deficient...but so little time, so many films.

I now fear that on my death bed I will be heard to mutter "If there is one movie I really wish I had seen...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Le Boucher is wonderful. Filmed in Tremolat in the Dordogne - I've visited the film sites. I have every film directed by Chabrol on DVD - there are over 50 and some are absolutely awful (I am almost certainly the only person who has all his films outside France, some of my DVDs are not strictly legal) and I consider it to be his masterpiece. It is about morality and guilt and in a subtle and understated way profoundly shocking.

Day for Night is the most joyous film about film making I have ever seen. I even bought the sound track.

Everybody has heard of Bergman's The Seventh Seal and nobody ever forgets the Knight playing chess with death - but his master piece is the full length version of Fanny & Alexandra.

I think Point Blank is the best "American" (it was filmed in Los Angeles) film ever directed by an English man. The General is good and so is Deliverance but with Point Blank he out film noired American directors at their own game. When I saw it in 1967 it was a like a hand grenade exploding in my face. Oh and it has a ravishing Angie Dickinson.

Michelangelo Antonioni has been my favourite Italian Director since university - but very "art house". His films are very, very slow and enigmatic and even his most accessible film, Blow Up (filmed in England) is enigmatic. He is no longer in favour with cenephiles.

Although since he is dead I guess he can live with that.

(I quite like cinema).

QUOTE=Fellbeast;663740]I don’t think I’ve seen any of those French and Italian films - I’ll have a look on Netflix and see if any are on, thanks.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 09-07-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Das Boot... Haven't quite got to the end of it this evening, but looks likely to make it onto my list of faves...

Had the misfortune to sit through the whole of the Glimmer Man (1996, Steven Segal) this evening.

Christ...

To Sir, With Love.... Sidney Potier, 1967

Watched again over the past couple of days, great film.

Tora Tora Tora (1970) telling the tale of the attack on Pearl Harbour from both sides.

My dog Skip.
    One step beyond.