Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Films

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Love & Friendship

*Tuesday BBC 2 1.35 pm
    Normally, I don't watch films that score less than 7.0 on IMDB. This one is a fair way below it (6.4). Maybe a cult classic?

Travs, I've seen Heartbreak Ridge years ago. I don't remember it being that bad, but again, only 6.9 on IMDB.

The exception of course is Dark Star, but you probably have to be on something to grasp the true magnificence of it.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Normally, I don't watch films that score less than 7.0 on IMDB. This one is a fair way below it (6.4). Maybe a cult classic?

The exception of course is Dark Star, but you probably have to be on something to grasp the true magnificence of it.
    Ah yes IMBD. DB as in Data Base - compiled by an algorithm?

The only serious film journal published in GB, and probably the most prestigious in the world, is the BFI Sight and Sound and the June 2016 issue allocated six pages to Whit Stillman and Love & Friendship plus the cover. What does it know? I wonder what it thought about Dark Star (which I loved)?

Dark Star was made in 1974 but not released in the UK until 1978.

The BFI review (Richard Combs) in February 2018 included:

"entertains magnificently
    coolly absurdist
    wonderful finale
    crisp comedy
    great sophistication and sly poetry
    ingenuity
    neatly and modesty impressive

without the dazzle of Star Wars but superior in the wit of its design

etc etc

The film started as a University project at So.Cal. and cost $60,000. It was written and directed by John Carpenter who then went on to make The Assault on Precinct 13 and much else.

If I wish to know when a film was made I look at IMDB. If I wish to read a perceptive critique I read Sight and Sound.

As for Love & Friendship - well it is so quick-witted it needs to be seen several times and so watching it yet again next Tuesday will be a joy.

I recommend!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-12-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I sincerely hope your film recommendations are better than your music choices
    Oh Sir. You tease!

I have just worked through CDs of 53 of Etta James' Chess Singles. She may have had a life-long heroin addiction and a chaotic private life; but At Last is sublime and will be played forever.

And now to Wagner: Siegfried Idyll, Parsifal Prelude, Rienzi Overture,...

Everybody loves Wagner!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    And now to Wagner: Siegfried Idyll, Parsifal Prelude, Rienzi Overture,...

Everybody loves Wagner!
    Well that's a statement I can definitely provide a counterexample to. In fact, I would rate Siegfried Idyll as possibly the most ghastly piece of classical music ever written. Wagner initiated a Dark Age of classical music which only a few contemporaries resisted (Dvorak comes to mind), and which only 20th century luminaries like Shostakovich have really dragged it out from.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    There is always the off button
    Thing is, once you've settled down for the night to watch the recommended film, stocked up with all yer quavers and a few tins of Special Brew, you're kind of in it for the duration. If the beginning is iffy, there's a tendency to think. "no. I'll give it a chance' but once you're over half-way through you might as well watch the lot, just in case some iota of cinematic brilliance is held back to the end! As my Derbyshire friend says' we live in Hope but die in Castleton'.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Well that's a statement I can definitely provide a counterexample to. In fact, I would rate Siegfried Idyll as possibly the most ghastly piece of classical music ever written. Wagner initiated a Dark Age of classical music which only a few contemporaries resisted (Dvorak comes to mind), and which only 20th century luminaries like Shostakovich have really dragged it out from.
    Well that's a little harsh.

I accept Wagner had his less attractive side but...well I'm now wracked with guilt that I have attended Das Rheingold and Der fliegender Holländer in the Wiener Staatsoper.

Cannot I like the Siegfried Idyll and play "Carnival" Overture, Scherzo Capriccioso, Golden Spinning Wheel, Serenade for Strings, Serenade in D minor, several symphonies?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-12-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Thing is, once you've settled down for the night to watch the recommended film, stocked up with all yer quavers and a few tins of Special Brew, you're kind of in it for the duration. If the beginning is iffy, there's a tendency to think. "no. I'll give it a chance' but once you're over half-way through you might as well watch the lot, just in case some iota of cinematic brilliance is held back to the end! As my Derbyshire friend says' we live in Hope but die in Castleton'.
    Mmmh. That is an interesting notion: that a film can redeem mediocrity in its second half. I wonder if you can cite an example?

As a half-hearted subscriber to the politique des auteurs I would argue that a Director who is rubbish in the first half of a movie is unlikely to have a Damascene convertion at the mid-point but hey... I am open to examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think the critical factor that could influence a negative split in a film is the number of tins of Special Brew consumed; maybe Anthony Kay will have a formula for this
    You may have a point there. Although obviously since I argue that films can only be truly seen in a cinema where, one hopes, Special Brew is not allowed, nor entry to the sort of people that drink Special Brew, I cannot comment

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Well that's a little harsh.

I accept Wagner had his less attractive side but...well I'm now wracked with guilt that I have attended Das Rheingold and Der fliegender Holländer in the Wiener Staatsoper.

Cannot I like the Siegfried Idyll and play "Carnival" Overture, Scherzo Capriccioso, Golden Spinning Wheel, Serenade for Strings, Serenade in D minor, several symphonies?
    No need to feel guilty about having different musical tastes from others, or about liking widely different styles of music. I like Bach's preludes and fugues, and I also like many of Shostakovich's string quartets . . .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

One of my favourite films, that I had sort of forgotten about, was on television today.

The Heroes of Telemark.

Cracking!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog