Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Films

Re: Favourite Films

Goodfellas is such a powerful film. If you enjoyed that, make sure you see The Departed. It's in the same vein but updated. Nicholson mugs his way through in his usual depraved style but the star is De Caprio. If anyone doubted his ability before, this performance should knock their concerns on the head....one of my fave performances for a long time.

Oh, and I just love Heat. De Niro and Pacino slugging it out for the honours of best latino actor. IMHO, Pacino just shades it.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Nobody who cares about film as an art form cares 2d about the Oscars, but one word - "Sully".

Not the most intriguing film of 2016 - that would be the superb Bone Tomahawk that only the cognoscenti saw - and Clint Eastwood, who directed Sully, is a meat and potatoes sort of Director, albeit a master of his craft.

And not the most delightful, delicious, witty, superb, glorious ( you get the picture?) film of 2016; that is Witt Stillman's Love and Friendship - simply a masterpiece of cinematic art. I've got the DVD and the book already.

But back to bums on seats: Sully.

You read it here first.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Oh Mr B, you too got the bug to go back to the good old days ��

I haven't seen Sully yet Graham but Love and Friendship was brilliant. The best film I've seen this year though was a French rom-com Blind Date - worth the Netflix subscription on its own 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I haven't seen Sully yet Graham but Love and Friendship was brilliant. The best film I've seen this year though was a French rom-com Blind Date - worth the Netflix subscription on its own 
    Sully is solid Hollywood professionalism at its best; direction, acting (well only Tom Hanks has much to do), script, editing.

Blind Date (Un peu, beaucoup, aveuglément) directed by and starring Clovis Cornillac, although winning several awards in France has not received a theatrical (ie cinema) release in the UK; otherwise on your recommendation, now recognising you as a man of taste and discernment, I would have tracked it down!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Sully is solid Hollywood professionalism at its best; direction, acting (well only Tom Hanks has much to do), script, editing.

Blind Date (Un peu, beaucoup, aveuglément) directed by and starring Clovis Cornillac, although winning several awards in France has not received a theatrical (ie cinema) release in the UK; otherwise on your recommendation, now recognising you as a man of taste and discernment, I would have tracked it down!
    It got 100% collectively from the critics on Rotten Tomatoes. That said because it was a foreign film it probably only had half a dozen critics. No release in the uk is a criminal act - its right up there with Amelie

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    It got 100% collectively from the critics on Rotten Tomatoes. That said because it was a foreign film it probably only had half a dozen critics. No release in the uk is a criminal act - its right up there with Amelie
    Yes well this is a heavier discussion but it is accepted that the so-called "art-house" market for foreign (ie subtitled) films for UK cinema release has collapsed over the decades.

Sight & Sound (which I have subscribed to since 1964) publishes box office returns for such films and they are pitiful. The days when people would flock to see the films of Antonioni, Truffaut, Bergman, Godard et al are long gone and London (where l lived for 8 years) has seen the collapse of cinemas catering for that now long-gone market.

But as Mrs Thatcher said "you can't buck the market" and if people prefer the pap of Star Wars part 78 to the intrigue and subtlety of, say, the last Claude Chabrol film (Bellamy*) - which was never released in the UK - there we are.

(* "A diabolically witty homage to the mystery writer Georges Simenon" - New York Times).

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Nobody who cares about film as an art form cares 2d about the Oscars, but one word - "Sully".
    Seeing it tonight with a friend, can't wait tbh.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator
    " Yes well this is a heavier discussion but it is accepted that the so-called "art-house" market for foreign (ie subtitled) films for UK cinema release has collapsed over the decades.

Sight & Sound (which I have subscribed to since 1964) publishes box office returns for such films and they are pitiful. The days when people would flock to see the films of Antonioni, Truffaut, Bergman, Godard et al are long gone and London (where l lived for 8 years) has seen the collapse of cinemas catering for that now long-gone market.

But as Mrs Thatcher said "you can't buck the market" and if people prefer the pap of Star Wars part 78 to the intrigue and subtlety of, say, the last Claude Chabrol film (Bellamy*) - which was never released in the UK - there we are "

Graham Breeze like a superannuated Virat Kohli oozing experience and sheer class "Down the Pub". Well worth an early alarm even on the weekend
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    "

Graham Breeze like a superannuated Virat Kohli oozing experience and sheer class "Down the Pub". Well worth an early alarm even on the weekend

Andrew,

You're very kind. I know what I know and I know what I don't and one example of the latter was that Virat Kohli is a cricketer.

I'm not too hot on football either.

Graham