Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter BG 21/1/15

Hard luck lads. Sounds like impossible conditions really. Sure you had a good workout and learned a bit too for when you do crack it.

bad luck and well tried. Its really tough in any depth of snow. I once had an anticlockwise winter attempt with 10-30cm of snow the whole way round and got as far as Dollwagon before giving up in the approach of a storm and the probablity of missing 24 hours by 30 mins or so. I was going really well that day, but the sheer effort of picking your legs out of holes just wears you down. Its an amazing thing to try though in full on snow conditions. well done for having a go.

I was down in the Lakes at the weekend and went round the St Sunday, Fairfield, Hart Crag horseshoe.
    Conditions could be worth a try if you are keen to bag a "white" round.
    Bitter cold.
    There has clearly been a thaw & freeze so there is alot of ice / verglass about but you can pick your line.
    Alot of the snow had been scoured off by the wind but the wind and thaw/freeze have also created a fair bit of neve for firm, fast going.
    With the right foot wear and not too much wind I'd think it a go-er.
    I'd reckon - basic footwear of metal studded orienteering shoes ( I was wearing Jalas Black)
    Plus, for really steep / hard ice, you'd want Kahtoolas as back up and an axe.
    Heavy duty clothing - I had on a Helly Hansen wool mix thermal, a fleece and a proper gore tex mountain jacket and was comfortable, mostly walking, in sunshine but with a strong, razor cold wind. also windproof balaclava and ski gloves. just a single pair of trousers. thin wool liner socks plus seal skins.
    You'd want plent of back up gear.
    Good moon at the moment as well would make for an awesome night.

would be possible this week, but tough. there's still a lot of unconsolidated snow in places and its deep. would be brilliant under a full moon though.

its tempting to have another pop but the team from two weeks ago isn't at full strength at the mo'
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Well done for being ballsy enough to give it a go. That Saturday we completed the high level traverse into Pillar Rock and ice axe/crampons were definitely needed. Somewhat easier going on the Monday for ascent of Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday but frozen and slow going on the highest tops. Really can't imagine moving at speed in those conditions but full of admiration for those who can.

ha - we followed your footsteps on the high level traverse that same saturday and then stayed at warnscale head bothy. the traverse was very atmospheric - http://johnfleetwood.smugmug.com/Fam...Bothy-Trip-to/

Thanks for the footsteps!

Ha! Yes...The route finding was interesting. It was head torches for us crossing back over Scartho Gap to the car. Good day.