Thread: running in the lakes

running in the lakes

just completed the borrowdale. A bit dissapointed not going up scafell pike though. first time in this race. But judging by the way i came down great gable, like a very old man very slowly, while others just skipped passed me over those horrendous rocks i would have been timed out at honister.
    Even after nearly 10 years running some of that conquering various mountains. i seem to find it very difficult mastering racing over the mountains
    I do most of my training on the hills above horwich.
    with the biggest climbs no more than 200m no amount of training can prepare you for the lakes. I have run the three peaks and that seemed alot easier.
    In the borrowdale i just took my time but it was still hard
    what i would like to know is how to tackle the rocky decents without
    too much fear. or is it just pure ability or technique?

enjoyed the conditions great for running in. If i come next year i think i'll come on friday and camp

Re: running in the lakes

Not sure, but speaking as a Derbyshire bog trotter there is definitely a difference when running on Lakeland rock. Just keep at it and you should improve. I think some of it is experience and technique, and a lot of it is just down to what you are most used to. I've discussed with a mate of mine how when you go to some races in different areas you find the boggy sections are where you start picking up places and it is sometimes clear that runners from different parts of the country struggle when the going is soft. You can't beat a bit of Lancahire/Derbyshire bog to build stamina!
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by flashrunner View Post
    just completed the borrowdale. A bit dissapointed not going up scafell pike though. first time in this race. But judging by the way i came down great gable, like a very old man very slowly, while others just skipped passed me over those horrendous rocks i would have been timed out at honister.
    Even after nearly 10 years running some of that conquering various mountains. i seem to find it very difficult mastering racing over the mountains
    with the biggest climbs no more than 200m no amount of training can prepare you for the lakes. I have run the three peaks and that seemed alot easier.

enjoyed the conditions great for running in. If i come next year i think i'll come on friday and camp

i love technical descents, rocks the lot
    what made it difficult was the rocks being slippy, when they are that slippy its a different ball game altogether
    im not that fast on grassy downhills but am very fast on things like coming off the pike on the scree and big boulders etc.
    basically i think its a mind thing, something in your head either says steady old boy or sod it if you fall you fall. If your somewhere in between accept it and enjoy
    one of the problems i have when coming down very rocky parts is that i stare that much and my eyes start watering because im not blinking, somthing to do with my contact lenses, but im forever wiping my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by flashrunner View Post

have you tried laps of going up the north face of winter hill to the trig point!

Thou not that long about 300m- 400m its proper hands on knees stuff, should be good if you get 5-6 reps in!

As for descending I'm reasonably quick on the grassy rocky stuff, coming down from esk hause was heaven on sat but coming off great gable was a nightmare, a good 12-15 people passed me there, just couldn't get my head round it!

Tried a bit harder off Dale Head and fell! (to55er)

Am thinking more and more practice required!

I run in the Lakes fairly often but mostly in the Dales which obviously isn't generally so high and steep but still good enough. I can usually get a 1500 to 2000 ft ascent in even short runs.

My most common run at the minute is up and back round Pen y Ghent, which has a fantastic descent, part rocky, part boggy grass and part (Penine Way) trail. I've definitely found that my descents have improved massively largely down to this one run. Doing it alot also means that I run all the way up too (apart from a small bit of scrambling).

I can't agree that Borrowdale (shortened) is tougher than the 3 Peaks though; the terrain I agree is tougher, especially on the descents buts its also softer (boggier) and shorter. The side of Whernside (13 or 14 miles into the 3P run) is still a tougher climb than Bessyboot, GG or Dale Head ~ that said I'm sure GG and DH would have been a bit more challenging had Scafell been included.

I am fitter now than any on of my half dozen 3 peak runs and I guess that'll make a difference too but I will probably solo trot around the 3 peaks in October and get a more up to date comparison then.