Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faster miles training

cross country.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I used to do track sessons on Monday nights at Stockport Harriers (until the kids started to get bored with their session). Cannot believe how 5 Km over an hour can hurt so much! It does wonders for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    And if all that fails, take beetroot juice 3 hours before a race. It's legal EPO.
    At long last Curtis trips up and spills the beans. We've got him banged to rights here, kicking back with a jar of grandpa's old cough remedy before every race. His shed will be full of unlicensed beetroots, it'll be like a scene out of Lawless. Let's get tooled up and run him out of town prohibition style.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

So your OP makes no sense..

Pace is immaterial without context,

So what are your road distances or which classic fell race you done?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FUTUREMatt View Post
    Evening all,

I was just hoping to pick your oh so knowledgable brains for second.

I want to improve my race times (who doesn't, right?) im currently running an average of around 7 minutes per mile, that is worked out by taking my race time and dividing it by the distance of the race. More often than not it comes out at about 7 minutes or so, this is for shorter faster races of under 10 miles.

I want to be more competitive and have found that race winners usually average out at about 6 minutes 30 per mile, according to my sketchy calculations.

So tell me, what would be the most effective training to improve my average miles per minute? Any and all advice is welcome!
    No need for intervals or speed work, run hard, run a lot. If you run a usual route at 7 minute pace, set off at 6.50. Blow up! Next time do the same, get a bit further. Keep going till you can do it all at 6.50, then set off at 6.40 pace. Simple.

Don't neglect core work! 50% of my training is core/ upper body and I've improved massively since doing it. I don't do any weighted stuff for my legs as I get out on the bike or for a run at least every day.

Run hard, enjoy it, blow up, run harder. Embrace the pain.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    No need for intervals or speed work, run hard, run a lot. If you run a usual route at 7 minute pace, set off at 6.50. Blow up! Next time do the same, get a bit further. Keep going till you can do it all at 6.50, then set off at 6.40 pace. Simple.

Don't neglect core work! 50% of my training is core/ upper body and I've improved massively since doing it. I don't do any weighted stuff for my legs as I get out on the bike or for a run at least every day.

Run hard, enjoy it, blow up, run harder. Embrace the pain.
    Are you back racing then TT?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Are you back racing then TT?
    I did Scafell Pike in September which was ok, nothing special. I've been training with Fleeter and on my own for about 8 months nearly now....I'm running well enough. Next race is Black Combe and we'll see I guess.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before