Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Montane Spine 2023

Montane Spine 2023

Lovely weather up here in the North Pennines - cold, snowy but blue skies and wall-to-wall sunshine.

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/spinerace23/ Although according to this tracker 13:09 16/1/23 the lead competitors are on the road near Forest-in-Teesdale school, not on the PW? Retired I guess?
    Am Yisrael Chai

I see the current leader, Damian Hall, has a photo with him holding the banner 'just stop oil'.
    Last edited by Mossdog; 16-01-2023 at 02:27 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Lovely weather up here in the North Pennines - cold, snowy but blue skies and wall-to-wall sunshine.

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/spinerace23/ Although according to this tracker 13:09 16/1/23 the lead competitors are on the road near Forest-in-Teesdale school, not on the PW? Retired I guess?
    Those three are shown as retired at Hebden. What they are doing up there is anyone's guess. Perhaps they forgot to hand their trackers in.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I see the current leader, Damian Hall, has a photo with him holding the banner 'just stop oil'.
    I've seen that too. Perhaps he thought that the infrastructure for the race arrived at the checkpoints by horse and cart!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I've seen that too. Perhaps he thought that the infrastructure for the race arrived at the checkpoints by horse and cart!
    I've emailed Montane asking them to clarify their position on endorsing political slogans, particularly those that many would judge to be controversial. We could potentially have participates holding slogans such as 'stop the small boats' or 'Capitalism is murder', 'women are women - period', etc. By allowing a 'Just Stop Oil' slogan they are tacitly endorsing the message and linking it to their brand.

On your point, given Hall's political stance on oil, I'm surprised he seems to be dressed head (and presumedly to foot) in synthetic, oil-derived, outdoor gear. Somewhat hypocritical?
    Am Yisrael Chai

I've just returned from a couple of hours running on the Pennine fells and aside from a cutting icy breeze and some shallow drifts it's prime running weather if you're dressed appropriately. Stunning sunset too. The runners should be making good time.

I can usually spot their head torches as they descend the PW from near Kirkcarrion down to the village.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I've emailed Montane asking them to clarify their position on endorsing political slogans, particularly those that many would judge to be controversial. We could potentially have participates holding slogans such as 'stop the small boats' or 'Capitalism is murder', 'women are women - period', etc. By allowing a 'Just Stop Oil' slogan they are tacitly endorsing the message and linking it to their brand.

On your point, given Hall's political stance on oil, I'm surprised he seems to be dressed head (and presumedly to foot) in synthetic, oil-derived, outdoor gear. Somewhat hypocritical?
    Show me a slogan carrying campaigner and I'll show you an attention seeking, messianic hypocrite.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Don't worry Graham, the way the government are currently going he'll be on a plane to Rwanda this time next year.

Looks like Kim Collison has retired at Tan Hill. A bit of a pity, having two or more runners going toe to toe helps keep the speed up.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Master
    I am halfway through his book "We can't run away from this" - a very interesting though rather repetitive read. He knows the issues. By being sponsored by/an ambassador for so many manufacturers, and participating in so many high impact events, he does put himself in a difficult position. He is well aware of this. Does knowing what he does, but still "doing", make him a better person? At least he has opened some other people's eyes, mine included.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I am halfway through his book "We can't run away from this" - a very interesting though rather repetitive read. He knows the issues. By being sponsored by/an ambassador for so many manufacturers, and participating in so many high impact events, he does put himself in a difficult position. He is well aware of this. Does knowing what he does, but still "doing", make him a better person? At least he has opened some other people's eyes, mine included.
    I've not read his book Mike so I can't comment on how he's trying to influence things which he claims are important to him in his life. I certainly don't begrudge him having a view on a whole range of issues, even if they might not match my own or other peoples.

But, if he advocates for a position, and particularly one that is quite controversial and effects the lives of billions of people on the planet(as oil does), I think it's incumbent on him to have the courage to live his life in line with his espoused convictions, or otherwise (putting this politely) be quiet. "Just Stop Oil' is pretty clear. It's not 'Just Stop Oil A Little That Allows Me Enough To Enjoy The Comforts Of Modern Life To The Level I Prefer'.

Mixing politics with sport is fraught with complicated issues. I just wish he'd kept it out of the Spine. Interestingly, and maybe nothing to do with my email to Montane, his photo has been changed and shows him running, without any slogan. Perhaps they have rotating images, or maybe Montane have made a decision to just make the story about a brilliant and entertaining challenge - hope so, and I look forward to continue to follow the event. Whatever, he's an amazing athlete and I hope he does well and keeps safe.
    Am Yisrael Chai