Page 106 of 109 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1081

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Leading to the leap of faith! I used to always jump it, but not so sure now days. A friend of mine smashed his shin whilst not quite making it!Spoilt his day!
    Once upon a time I used to clear that in a standing jump. Not any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Once upon a time I used to clear that in a standing jump. Not any longer.
    It comes to us all.

Once I passed 75 I thought. Mmmh. Maybe not this year.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Hope to see you and a few forumites tomorrow in Guiseley. Think I'll take a raincoat with me.

Well that was fun! Never run a race with my hood up for so long. Glad to see Guiseley. 12ish Years ago I did this in 3.30 - today 4.50. is this ageing gracefully.

Surprise! I managed to jump the culvert with a standing jump again. There's still life in the old legs after all. I'd probably teetered and tottered sufficiently slowly down to it that I hadn't exhausted myself too unduly. In the end I dragged home in a near Personal Worst in 21 taking-parts. 5:20 was the best I could muster, which is pretty dire when I was once able to manage sub-4 finishes.

Regarding hoods, I spent most of the time cursing and swearing at my new inov-8 jacket because its hood took up a preferred position halfway down my face, blinding me to anything that was more than a yard away. I'd tightened all available cords, which only seemed to make it worse. It was only after returning home and 5 minutes of intense study that I found a secret, hidden pull-cord around the back that does the job. The cords I had tightened had just pulled the peak further down. I look forward to its next inclement outing to test it out properly. That could be this coming Saturday on Anglezarke Amble.

As I began my drive home I clocked warning signs about a clean air zone that will be imposed this spring. I checked on-line and was relieved to see that it won't apply to private vehicles, otherwise that would have been my last attendance at Rombald's Stride.

Morning All,

I'm new here... Only started running in 2019, having moved to Yorkshire from Sussex, and soon realised fells are the way to go.

Did a couple of shorter fell races e.g. Eldwick Gala last year and absolutely loved it.

Rombalds will be the biggest, longest one so far (appreciate it's not a fell race per se) and really looking forward to it. I live 200m from the starting line! My only concern is catching another lurgy from my two daughters.

Taking the afternoon of work today for a final long training run. Beautiful day for it, though might be a bit icy.

I'm fairly confident on the route now, it's just the distance I need to hack.
    Who is on board this year?

I've enjoyed reading through this thread for all the hints and tips. Haven't braved jumping the culvert yet!

Hello Notters.

Let us know how you get on!

I don't know that particular race, however my first ultra was fairly near there, at the Haworth Hobble. I jumped in after doing a number of fell races. Fell apart a bit after about 18 miles but made it home.

Hopefully you'll be alright if you've done plenty of training.

Ah, good Man. You have my sympathy living in Guiseley! I live in Otley and have done Rombalds at least 10 times - I'll be there again this year, in a Black and White Otley vest and I wear glasses and have a red bumbag. say hello.
    Well what to say, lots of good stuff on this thread. Plenty of good food at the checkpoints - you don't need to carry much.
    Hardest navigation is going through Menston, finding the correct snicket/alley off Fairfax Road - Just after Fairfax Gardens.
    After jumping the Culvert (I used to when I was younger, but...), make sure you keep far enough left, soon passing a big rock and go along the edge of the moor.
    Yes, the climb back up the Chevin from West Chevin road is hell - Slippery and steep, but it is the last climb.
    Good luck. Happy to answer any queries you have.

And
    Take plenty of clothes, the weather is often awful. I've often been cold and wet on this. The last few years have been really windy.
    When you pass Keighley gate you now have to run on the right (North)side of the wall - watch out for the bogs along there. They are deep enough to swallow a person!

Notters, the Stride is great fun in all weathers, and I'm in again this year for somewhere around the 16th time.
    Don't worry about the distance. It's a walkers' event too, so you can go at any pace. Just keep putting one footie front of the other. At the end - and even if you live only 200 yards away - it's still worth staying in the school for the meat pie...and the cup of tea tastes marvellous.
    Last edited by Tussockface; 19-01-2023 at 11:28 AM.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies