Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1081

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Hello Notters.

Let us know how you get on!

I don't know that particular race, however my first ultra was fairly near there, at the Haworth Hobble. I jumped in after doing a number of fell races. Fell apart a bit after about 18 miles but made it home.

Hopefully you'll be alright if you've done plenty of training.
    I've generally been doing ~30 miles a week, so should be just about ok. Managed 15 on Tuesday before darkness fell - beautiful conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Ah, good Man. You have my sympathy living in Guiseley! I live in Otley and have done Rombalds at least 10 times - I'll be there again this year, in a Black and White Otley vest and I wear glasses and have a red bumbag. say hello.
    Well what to say, lots of good stuff on this thread. Plenty of good food at the checkpoints - you don't need to carry much.
    Hardest navigation is going through Menston, finding the correct snicket/alley off Fairfax Road - Just after Fairfax Gardens.
    After jumping the Culvert (I used to when I was younger, but...), make sure you keep far enough left, soon passing a big rock and go along the edge of the moor.
    Yes, the climb back up the Chevin from West Chevin road is hell - Slippery and steep, but it is the last climb.
    Good luck. Happy to answer any queries you have.
    Thank you! I'm technically in Yeadon, which is probably worse :-s
    I shall probably have my Brighton beanie hat on unless it's unseasonably warm so you won't miss me!

I think I'm ok with those bits, found the big rock you mention on Tuesday and I've done the Menston bit a couple of times. Once you find the ginnel it's pretty much a straight line.
    I guess my main concern is keeping going if soaked through from the start, may need to invest in a new coat next week.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    And
    Take plenty of clothes, the weather is often awful. I've often been cold and wet on this. The last few years have been really windy.
    When you pass Keighley gate you now have to run on the right (North)side of the wall - watch out for the bogs along there. They are deep enough to swallow a person!
    I thought the general wisdom was to keep left of the wall? I was planning on going down to Cowper's Cross anyway, as this seems to be the official route (being more of an LDW event)?

It was all frozen solid on Tuesday which doesn't half make life easier:

frozen.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Notters, the Stride is great fun in all weathers, and I'm in again this year for somewhere around the 16th time.
    Don't worry about the distance. It's a walkers' event too, so you can go at any pace. Just keep putting one foot At the end - and even if you live only 200 yards away - it's still worth staying in the school for the meat pie...and the cup of tea tastes marvellous.
    I can taste the pie already

"I thought the general wisdom was to keep left of the wall? I was planning on going down to Cowper's Cross anyway, as this seems to be the official route (being more of an LDW event)?

It was all frozen solid on Tuesday which doesn't half make life easier:"

There is discussion about the Cowper's Cross route above and it's drier and about the same time. I may well do it this year. You used to go down the left of the wall, but the Landowner complained.
    My fastest ever time at this was a year when it was frozen solid - like a road race! Don't think I'll ever manage 3 1/2 hrs again.
    Good luck and hope to see you.

I was wondering about Cowper's Cross too. I did it one year; think it was when I ran with Deejay, formerly of this parish.I do seem to recall that it wasn't quite as boggy.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

The landowner might well complain but it's Access Land!

Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
    The landowner might well complain but it's Access Land!
    Agreed, but I just follow the marshal's instructions. It's not a huge big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    I was wondering about Cowper's Cross too. I did it one year; think it was when I ran with Deejay, formerly of this parish.I do seem to recall that it wasn't quite as boggy.
    Cowper's cross route is drier but a bit longer (in distance and time) in my experience. Last time i ran it i think the RO and marshalls told us to stay on the right of the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    Cowper's cross route is drier but a bit longer (in distance and time) in my experience. Last time i ran it i think the RO and marshalls told us to stay on the right of the wall.
    Did it at the weekend (in beautiful conditions). Definitely think I'd prefer it when warm and wet (as it looks like it will be )

Cowper's Cross.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    Funny how this discussion crops up every few years :-) Yes, the land to the left of the wall is access land but the landowner has complained on more than one occasion and the race organisers are quite explicit that you must stay to the right. It's as boggy as hell though, I was up there the other day in the ice and that was OK, but as soon as that melts it will be desperate. The Cowper's Cross route is quite a bit longer, I did some comparisons a few years back and recall there was no advantage in doing it and a bit more height gain. You might have marginally drier/less muddy feet, but that's about the only positive.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

So it's looking set to be pretty mild (and therefore boggy)and windy.
    Very excited mind!

Any other first timers?

@Martyn just spotted you're from North Leeds Fellrunners - have been wanting to come to one of your training runs for some time - is it ok to just rock up?
    Last edited by Notters; 31-01-2023 at 11:00 AM.