Page 13 of 109 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Re: Rombald`s Stride 2009

back from walking the pooch - results now in pdf

any problems send me an email and I'll forward results

Super Moderator

Had a grand day out in the snow running round with five K&C club-mates yesterday. My 1st Rombalds and I thought route, organisation and catering were right up there with the usual high standards of similar events. Lord only knows what people think they're doing throwing gel wrappers down on the ground; there's absolutely no excuse!

What a great day out, my 3rd Rombalds on the trot and by far the most enjoyable. Loved the new route with more running on the moor, great fun in snow ! and only having to climb the Chevin once ! Fantastic views on the tops, the tracks in the snow made it impossible to go astray, big thanks to the front runners for being snow ploughs, must have been well hard ! Really enjoyed the downhill bits, I'm not very fast at the best of times but love the descents and the conditions really suited me, I didn't fall over once. First time I've ever not been overtaken once I got onto Ilkley moor, apart from 2 guys powerwalking up the chevin and I passed both of them again on the gallop down the road to the finish. Big thanks to the organisers and all the volunteers standing around in the cold handing out drinks and cakes, one of my all time favourite races !

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Had a grand day out in the snow running round with five K&C club-mates yesterday. My 1st Rombalds and I thought route, organisation and catering were right up there with the usual high standards of similar events. Lord only knows what people think they're doing throwing gel wrappers down on the ground; there's absolutely no excuse!
    Agree, all my gel wrapers came safely home.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Agree, all my gel wrapers came safely home.
    I know mine did as I kept stuffing them in my mates bottle holder all the way round.....one of the best days running I've had for a while....ran round with 2 others and we didn't fall over once.....maybe we were more careful than normal but thought the conditions were a real change to the norm....well done to all involved

It was a brilliant day out and a right good core workout. It was my 10th consecutive year on Rombald's and this is my 14th winter at this lark, and I have never enjoyed such conditions: dry powder covering the heather.

How did other people's times compare with their PBs on the old route? I was 19 minutes slower.

Well done and thanks to the organisers and marshals. I shall return.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    How did other people's times compare with their PBs on the old route? I was 19 minutes slower.
    45 minutes slower for me! But I think in normal circumstances, the route changes only add on five minutes or so.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

But the route changes make the course 2 + miles longer, I realise some of the Chevin climb is now taken out, but surely that does not eqate to being able to cover the extra distance in 5 mins.

I was about 25 mins slower than last year...I thought the course was supposed to be longer but my GPS clocked it at about 22 miles ....I know a number of other gps wearers also got the same distance so I'm not sure where the extra miles went ?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    But the route changes make the course 2 + miles longer, I realise some of the Chevin climb is now taken out, but surely that does not eqate to being able to cover the extra distance in 5 mins.
    Eh?

My Garmin was 21.89 and I know the route ie I didn't go more than 100 yards off course. (You can see my house on the section going up to Baildon Trig and on to Lanshaw Lad and I train over much of the course). I do not believe the old route was less than 20 miles. Received wisdom is it was around 22 but I would be interested if someone who has run it in the past with a Garmin could confirm.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-02-2009 at 10:51 AM.