Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Re: Rombalds Stride

Extremely well organised event. Nearly didn't go when I saw a couple of inches of snow outside at 7am and still snowing hard; slid down the hill in the car.

Legs went with about 5 miles to go, but managed to get in. Proves that I need some longer runs under my belt before the 3Peaks.

Anyone get any garmin data (distance and climb)? My battery went half way round. Someone said 21.5 miles.

good run . Bad weather hit me just before cow n calf. Shattered after a heavy week running. Felt great thou and cracking views. That Meat Pie at the end was gorgeous. Well Done to the Organisers and marshalls , special mention surely to those on the tops , it was chilly running , so marshalling must've been cold.

Excellent cuppa too.....

The snow hit me between the moor above Burley Woodhead and Bleach Mill.
    I've now done Rombalds on three occasions, and my times have been less than a minute apart!
    Consistent, if crap... but if anyone wants a sub-4.15 pacemaker in 2009, I'm your man.

Found it hard today, was happy with my sub 4hrs until someone suggested it could have been 4 miles short ! Had a fall, knee swollen, knackered going t bed.

Yes, it certainly ain't 25 miles. On the other hand, it's hard enough, and if you feel you ran well you probably did.
    That sleep is well earned! (I fell asleep in the bath this afternoon, not a wise thing, but oh, so good.)

We must have followed you round!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Excellent cuppa too.....

The snow hit me between the moor above Burley Woodhead and Bleach Mill.
    I've now done Rombalds on three occasions, and my times have been less than a minute apart!
    Consistent, if crap... but if anyone wants a sub-4.15 pacemaker in 2009, I'm your man.

Do the forerunner type GPS units work OK under tree cover? I suspect that they may miss a few points. Memory map gives 21.5 but it can be short in upland areas by a few percent. I reckon 22 to 22.5 is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    We must have followed you round!!
    Wish I'd known, I didn't see any forumites I recognised, apart from Chris Brown.
    I asked a few people if they were 'on the FRA forum' and drew blank looks. As we were crossing the moor to Harvey's Gallops I asked a guy with a dog, thinking he might be Alf Tupper. He looked puzzled. A couple of hundred yards later he asked "Did you say 'Mia Farrow'?" I guess 'FRA Forum' might have come out of my mouth in a slightly wheezy and mangled way by that point, but why he thought I was accusing him of being 'on' her remains mystifying.

Awwwww Tussockface , i was there too . I left faithful hound at home as i thought it'd be frostier and she doesn't care for frosty ground.
    I ran around with a forumite but we never exchanged names. Good company and he certainly knew his way across the snowy moor.
    The extremely muddy path by the horses towards the end was a bit mean, i'd just got my mudclaws clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Do the forerunner type GPS units work OK under tree cover? I suspect that they may miss a few points. Memory map gives 21.5 but it can be short in upland areas by a few percent. I reckon 22 to 22.5 is about right.
    In my experience the 305 works well under trees. If there isn't a signal then they join two points anyway, so if you are on a fairly straight route the distance would still be OK.