Page 54 of 109 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Re: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    as I did last year after not recceing!

this is an excellent ploy. It worked well for me last week too. Going with clubmates adds another element, especially when 'I'm navigating!'
    Above The Cow & Calf by any chance SFG ?

Looks like there could be some hard-frozen ground come Saturday:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16780545
    Hope so, as the water was shockingly cold on Saturday.

We;ve had snow on the tops for the last week here. Think I drove through 3 blizzards coming over the top last week. Still all white up there now.

If the grounds frozen it'll make it a bit different to the mud fest we had last year. Could see it being a bit ankle breaking though. Churned up mud that then freezes!! Nice!!!

I intend running on a wing andf a prayer! Hope I might attach myself to some who know the way but if not oh well. I have printed off and had a look at map. I have been on Ilkley Moor before. If there is sow then there will even be footprints to follow. Agree with Stolly- sense of adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Above The Cow & Calf by any chance SFG ?
    nope. on the Chevin! went along the path as you enter the wood (near the top) and came out at Surprise View. poor, very poor!
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Did this race last year, not doing it this time but the Ilkley Moor bit is my default run, and up there today it was great; firm but not frozen, white enough to look nice but not really snow covered, no wind...marvellous. If it's like that for your Stride, you should at least enjoy this section of it!
    And of course the boggy section from the trig to the aerials is no more, now it's been 'improved'.

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    nope. on the Chevin! went along the path as you enter the wood (near the top) and came out at Surprise View. poor, very poor!
    Ironic, I got a tad lost there today. Went too far to the top of the woods instead of sweeping slightly to the left & on to the Quarry Car Park. 2 trusty dog walkers put me straight. Can anybody remember exactly where the "self clip" is part way up the Chevin ? I lose it every year ! Cost me 2-3 mins last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Ironic, I got a tad lost there today. Went too far to the top of the woods instead of sweeping slightly to the left & on to the Quarry Car Park. 2 trusty dog walkers put me straight. Can anybody remember exactly where the "self clip" is part way up the Chevin ? I lose it every year ! Cost me 2-3 mins last year.
    If memory serves, it's on the path about 50-60m beyond the top of the steps. It was on that path and very obvious last year - how did you manage to miss it?
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

For some reason I decided to bear off right as you enter the woods. I eventually heard the voices of the people I had just passed, about a mile back, over to the left by the steps you mentioned. The same steps I managed to find this afternoon ! I then got lost at the top of the woods 400 yards further on..............................ahem.............

It'd be more than embarrassing if I went wrong on the Chevin section given the Big Hill as we call the path from the road back up to the woods is a regular club training feature. It's a tough enough climb less than 2 miles into a training run let alone 20 miles into an event....so I've told myself not to overdo the downhill road section before that climb (whether I'll heed my own advice remains to be seen!)..