Page 55 of 109 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Re: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Rob, I've nailed the Baildon Trig to Golcar section. Found us the fastest descent ! Reluctantly doing a recce of Burley Woodhead to the finish this afternoon. Not a fan of the menston road section.
    I usually run on more or less the bearing stated in the literature, and if you know where to look there's a trod that heads like an arrow towards the cattle grid checkpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Ironic, I got a tad lost there today. Went too far to the top of the woods instead of sweeping slightly to the left & on to the Quarry Car Park. 2 trusty dog walkers put me straight. Can anybody remember exactly where the "self clip" is part way up the Chevin ? I lose it every year ! Cost me 2-3 mins last year.
    Self clip is really easy, as you go through the steel gate, head straight on up a muddy path onto the grassy steep hill with steps and it'll be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    It'd be more than embarrassing if I went wrong on the Chevin section given the Big Hill as we call the path from the road back up to the woods is a regular club training feature. It's a tough enough climb less than 2 miles into a training run let alone 20 miles into an event....so I've told myself not to overdo the downhill road section before that climb (whether I'll heed my own advice remains to be seen!)..
    I ran that hill on Sunday 6miles in to a 12miler. It's bloody hard but doable if you slow down enough (I was around 15min/mile pace for the mile including the hill). On 'race' day I doubt I'll be capable of running it though!
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Went up it yesterday in my Roclite "trail" shoes & was sliding all over the place ! I may hide a rope in the bushes & attach it to a tree at the top.

Weather looks to be cold, overcast with a light wind and the possibility of a bit of snow. Perfect running conditions?

Certainly better than the wet, knee high bogs and strong wind that there often is going across the top of the moor. Could be slippy on the paving slabs though if they're icy....

Really looking forward to this. I'm going to declare that I'd like to run sub-3.30 if I can as well. Should be doable, provided that I don't go off too fast and that I don't die after Burley Woodhead again!
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Weather looks to be cold, overcast with a light wind and the possibility of a bit of snow. Perfect running conditions?

Certainly better than the wet, knee high bogs and strong wind that there often is going across the top of the moor. Could be slippy on the paving slabs though if they're icy....

Really looking forward to this. I'm going to declare that I'd like to run sub-3.30 if I can as well. Should be doable, provided that I don't go off too fast and that I don't die after Burley Woodhead again!
    Still not 100% I'll be doing this, I might just strap my leg up and hope for the best, but if not I'll just wobble round a shortened version and cheer you all on from various vantage points. The missus will be doing it come what may - watch out for a stroppy blonde bird with an Inov8 rucksack and a determined expression :-)

Martyn

p.s. I think I'll be going for Roclites. I wore gore tex Kanadias up there on a recce with DinoF and my feet just froze once the water got in. No grip going up the Chevin either .... I don't expect the Roclites will be much better!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Still not 100% I'll be doing this, I might just strap my leg up and hope for the best, but if not I'll just wobble round a shortened version and cheer you all on from various vantage points. The missus will be doing it come what may - watch out for a stroppy blonde bird with an Inov8 rucksack and a determined expression :-)

Martyn

p.s. I think I'll be going for Roclites. I wore gore tex Kanadias up there on a recce with DinoF and my feet just froze once the water got in. No grip going up the Chevin either .... I don't expect the Roclites will be much better!
    Sorry you might not make it Martyn, but guess you need to save your legs for bigger challenges this year. Hope to see you out on the course anyway.

Went up on Ilkey Moor on Sunday and, as Fozzy says, the frozen ground was good to run on (although I wore Walshes as I didn't do any road sections). Hoping for that kind of ground on Saturday too. If there's more snow too, even better.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Sorry you might not make it Martyn, but guess you need to save your legs for bigger challenges this year. Hope to see you out on the course anyway.

Went up on Ilkey Moor on Sunday and, as Fozzy says, the frozen ground was good to run on (although I wore Walshes as I didn't do any road sections). Hoping for that kind of ground on Saturday too. If there's more snow too, even better.
    Forecast is as Fozzy suggested with nighttime temps of -2c to -4c over the next 3 nights (and daytime rising to only 2c) so should continue to freeze/harden the ground before Saturday, which is good news.

Right I'm now not running this with the pooch by the looks of things in which case I can hopefully give this a proper crack. Some probably daft questions:

1. I've got the grid references but no map of that area at all. Do I actually need a map, assuming that I will always be within spitting distance of someone who might know where they're going?

2. And if I do is it the Lower Wharfedale and Washburn Valley map that I need? I'm kind of worried that the route might go through two explorer map areas and buying one map for a race at a push is acceptable but two would be pushing the boat out!

3. Is the route marked at all or maybe flagged in certain less obvious places?

4. Is food and drink provided on the way round?

5. Do you have to carry a plastic mug?

6. Is there a specific kit list and a kit check? Don't worry I'll be carrying all the sensible stuff and more probably but I don't want to miss something more obscure like compulsory emergency food or whatever. Nothing springs to mind from the entry confirmation I received (which isn't to hand to refer to at the minute)

7. 9 am start so presumably everyone gets there for 8 ish? I don't know Guisely at all so where do I go if I'm coming from the Menston direction?

Stolly.

1. You should get by without a map, but don't quote me on it.
    2. Yes, Lower Wharfedale & Washburn Valley.
    3. Not marked or flagged, from what I can remember !
    4. Yes. Usual fare. Flapjacks, biscuits, drinks etc.
    5. Optional, I think. I don't. I get round with a bumbag with a few bits & pieces in & grab a drink at the feed station. They usually have plastic cups.
    6. I've never been checked. I assume if you have all the usual kit you'll be fine.
    7. I'll get there at a similar time to you. I'm going to park in the Guiseley retail park by Costa & M & S. Then it's just a short walk over the main road towards Guiseley Junior School. There should be quite a few people milling about.

Sorry I haven't answered all your questions convincingly Stolly ! See you there.............

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Right I'm now not running this with the pooch by the looks of things in which case I can hopefully give this a proper crack. Some probably daft questions:

1. I've got the grid references but no map of that area at all. Do I actually need a map, assuming that I will always be within spitting distance of someone who might know where they're going?

2. And if I do is it the Lower Wharfedale and Washburn Valley map that I need? I'm kind of worried that the route might go through two explorer map areas and buying one map for a race at a push is acceptable but two would be pushing the boat out!

3. Is the route marked at all or maybe flagged in certain less obvious places?

4. Is food and drink provided on the way round?

5. Do you have to carry a plastic mug?

6. Is there a specific kit list and a kit check? Don't worry I'll be carrying all the sensible stuff and more probably but I don't want to miss something more obscure like compulsory emergency food or whatever. Nothing springs to mind from the entry confirmation I received (which isn't to hand to refer to at the minute)

7. 9 am start so presumably everyone gets there for 8 ish? I don't know Guisely at all so where do I go if I'm coming from the Menston direction?
    Stolly -

1. If you don't know Ilkley moor well, a map is certainly advised. The paths are all obvious, but there are quite a lot of little paths on there that you could be tempted to follow. You may also need it coming down through Menston (arguably the most difficult bit - be aware of where the ginnel off Fairfax Road is - it's not signposted and you can go nearly a mile out of your way if you miss it!). People tend to be fairly spaced out by this point.

2. Yes, 297 is the one you want - the bit through Esholt and up onto Baildon moor is just on the bottom of the map, and a few bits are on 288, but there will be plenty of people to follow at that point.

3. Not flagged at all. CPs generally obvious.

4. Yes, lots.

5. No.

6. No. General fell running kit is sensible and advised as you've suggested. You may want to carry a small survival bag - that is recommended on their kit list.

7. Yes, it's gets quite busy about 8.30ish, so 8ish is advised. Follow Rd from Menston (A65) and school is up 2nd left after the train station turning (signposted). Best place to park may be in the retail park car park (bit further on on RHS - look out for the big McDonalds sign!!) - it's free, there's no chance of clamping etc. About 400m walk back to school from there. Aireborough Leisure centre get a bit snarky about people parking in their car park for it.
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

All good advice there Stolly; nothing to add from me. If you see me before the start, give me a tap on the shoulder.

I am looking forward to this again. I wonder if the new flagstones and just frozen ground might just help me to an elusive sub-4 finish this year?