Page 9 of 109 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Re: Rombald`s Stride 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Thanks BritNick, I'd missed the fact that there's a new checkpoint near the end. Because the previous Chevin checkpoint had also been in a quarry, I assumed it was the same one ( I know I should have plotted the grid refs, but I'd only had a quick initial sken).
    I must admit that I couldn't quite square the route description form there back to St Oswald's!
    It still might be a bit slower, because the high Rombald's Moor section is slower and saps more strength than that good quality track along the Chevin and back; but at least the changes aren't as bad as I'd feared!
    I've just plotted the new course changes on to a map and now make the total distance between 24+miles (pos 25), vs. the old route at 22+miles. I'll be doing a full recce over the xmas break, let me know if anyone wants to join me?

Chris,
    Which days did you have in mind? I'm very interested but might find it difficult to escape for a day.

Does anyone know if there is a route description available on the web ?

According to this forecast http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp?zipcode=Guiseley, Saturday will be frozen solid (-2), dry and light winds - let's hope so. I can’t see the snow going be then though!

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Thanks BritNick, I'd missed the fact that there's a new checkpoint near the end. Because the previous Chevin checkpoint had also been in a quarry, I assumed it was the same one ( I know I should have plotted the grid refs, but I'd only had a quick initial sken).
    I must admit that I couldn't quite square the route description form there back to St Oswald's!
    It still might be a bit slower, because the high Rombald's Moor section is slower and saps more strength than that good quality track along the Chevin and back; but at least the changes aren't as bad as I'd feared!
    Have recced the quarry bit, Chevin is now much shorter and it is easier to miss the checkpoint and shortcut to the lane across the lane so be aware.

Do you mean the quarry checkpoint? That's the only section that wasn't clear to me from the route description.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Thanks for the weather update, Chris. Let's hope it stays true. Down here in south Manchester most of our snow melted last night. We had 2 inches yesterday.

I reconnoitred the route from Whetstone Gate to the finish last Saturday. It might have been sunny but it was cold in that wind on Ilkley Moor (especially without a hat). The ground was just crusting over with ice.

Hi Tf,
    For the new quarry checkpoint, don't turn left along the Chevin. Carry on straight up the steps then bear left in the woods to the top and round the fence. Basically follow your nose (as well as the rd).

Cheers Nick. I suspect it's one of those sections that's clearer on the ground than when trying to reconcile a written description to an Ordnance Survey map. I'm guessing there may be paths not shown on the map.
    At least I know where I'm heading for, and it won't be far to backtrack if I miss the optimum route.
    See you on Saturday, bright and early!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

It's still ok to park in the Leisure centre isn't it?
    Generally going nowhere fast.