Page 92 of 109 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_Crown View Post
    Gallop On Adnan - you can run but you can't hide
    sorry to hear you've been injured, at least you got a Very Good sub3 in the bag last year at VLM - back again as GFA I assume.
    How did you get on at L100
    That was the only highlight of last year, running went downhill since then. Yes doing it again but just going to enjoy it this time and will do Fellsman week before for good measure and PW week before Fellsman

L100 was fine until Blencathra and then I ended up crawling with almost broken foot. Lots of forumities passed me and pep talked in to keep going specially Nick. I wanted to drop out at Dockray but midges bites made sure I don't. I was given ibuprofen near Ullswater by one of the competitor (I call him Jesus) and after 30-40 minutes I was pain free so I legged it as fast as I could until it worn off. From there on it was 1 hour solid running, 1 hour shuffling and 3 hours of painful hobble until next painkiller cycle which I borrowed off another runner after Howtown . I found a best place to have a kip near Haweswater under a big rock but should have had a sign to say DND Recharging because couple of friends thought I was dead and woke me up I crawled to Kentmere checkpoint and while I was in there saw Jesus again and I asked him for another dose of ibuprofen for the last push. Only race I wanted to finish for a medal and a t-shirt. Think I got round in 34:40 something but won't be doing it again, not worth losing another 6 months to an injury.

_|_
    ./\.

That's a story and a half, Adnan. I'd forgotten how I caught up with you in disbelief and pep-talked you, then dead chuffed when it must have worked and you came steaming past me again. I never caught you after that (but I did slow to a crawl and haemorrhage hours on the last 15 miles from Ambleside) .

wow

fair play

whats PW?

Really. And Graham still claimed 'the win' ??

Thanks Rob.
    oh I think it was all good natured. Jack pointed out that Graham had effectively shown him all the fast lines on the route (it being Jack's first one), and it's not really classed as a race anyway being a LDWA event.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    That's a story and a half, Adnan. I'd forgotten how I caught up with you in disbelief and pep-talked you, then dead chuffed when it must have worked and you came steaming past me again. I never caught you after that (but I did slow to a crawl and haemorrhage hours on the last 15 miles from Ambleside) .
    Thanks Nick, you were very inspirational It was more like a journey than a race.

wow

fair play

whats PW?
    Sorry, its the Pennines Way. It's been on the back-burner for quite a few years now. Me and couple of friends are doing it over 9-10 days in 1st week of April

_|_
    ./\.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    oh I think it was all good natured. Jack pointed out that Graham had effectively shown him all the fast lines on the route (it being Jack's first one), and it's not really classed as a race anyway being a LDWA event.
    aah. fair enuf. should have come in together for joint 1st if Graham hadnt been able to shrug Jack off.
    As for it not being a race...Yeah, right, like nobody was trying.. ;-)

Well I was defo racing!!

far be it from me to speak on behalf of anyone but it sounds like Jack was acknowledging that had GP not 'shown' him the way for the preceding 21 miles he'd not have been in a position to take the lead in the final half mile.

however it could have been something completely different as I wasn't their, haven't spoken to anyone who was and am frequently wrong.

Adam Speed
    P&B

showing the way is the nature of trail racing. if you cant break the elastic and shrug someone off who is potentially faster later, then you are always at risk of being pipped. Thats why its sometimes better to make a badly paced break mid race e.g. in a technical section like woods or urban, that is trickier for someone to follow if they havent quite kept up.

All down to individual character of those racing or the circumstances of the race. I've lead and been pipped for 5/6th place. Again, my pipper was a trail newbie and didnt realise he had to check in. So I told him to come with me and register, when I soon appeared. My name went down first for 5th haha.

On my hometown LDWA I got lead round in a group of 4 but knew the way for the last 3-4 miles. I also knew I was with a faster bloke, and it was great fun racing him off to the finish and dropping the other two. Through guile and sneakiness I pipped him. Great fun. Had it not been my hometown race I may have been less 'competitive' but confess I really wanted it.
    We were both placed notionally joint first anyway but I was chuffed with the moral 'win'. Or immoral. Yes, my pal called me a Tw@ hahaha, which I gracefully accepted. I can be

I can't speak for either, but I know both and ran with Jack at the FRAs, so I just leave this here, if you don't know where the finish line is, then you are a bit of a muppet ;-)
    Dan Wilkinson - Ilkley Harriers

As neither Jack nor Pearce are on here to defend themselves and/or respond to anything I put either.... As the person who came 3rd, after enjoying their company all day, I think I should have WON and I’m 100% sure they’d agree

P.s This was my first time at the race and I really enjoyed it. We had a swell time and there was no animosity or talk of who finished where at the end. Also....Jack was the only orienteer amongst us so to not find the finish after passing the gates was poor and I will mock him again next time I see him.
    Joe Baxter - Pudsey & Bramley