Page 94 of 109 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Yes I remember when the Piper's Gate checkpoint was wrong and there was an out and back! I usually get a bit lost anyway when descending to the checkpoint and end up in the long grass near the wall!

Will be good to see you Ben and Jez, will be like a Harriers reunion! Hope to see you as well Matt if you get an entry! Are you welcome at St. Oswalds?
    Lets hope so, but if I disguise myself as a fellrunner I may get away with it. So long as they don't set the vicar on me.

nuts, I missed out on an entry. If anyone is dropping out and I can transfer and buy their place (which is allowed btw)- Please pm me :-)
    Also got a mate who wants to run too if two places going.

I can't believe I've not done this before as it goes from right near to where I live. Really looking forward to it and hoping for cold and crisp conditions. I've been round the whole route as I don't want to be getting my map out next week if I can help it. Pretty happy I know the way (that guarantees I'll be the one that gets lost now!), but are the self clip checkpoints at Coldstone Ghyll (148 451) and 'Above Stile' at the Chevin (195 445) fairly obvious? Is the coldstone ghyll one just before and at the top of 'Bark's Crag' as marked on the map? And I couldn't see the aforementioned stile at the Chevin. I guessed the checkpoint was at the top of those steps near the rocky bit before you head into the woods up to the wall to turn East to Yorkgate Quarry. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

The Coldstone Ghyll checkpoint is at the top of the small climb just after crossing Coldstone Beck on Burley Moor.

As I remember, Above Stile is on the climb up Otley Chevin just before you reach the woods near the top. There's no need to go through the woods at the bottom of the Chevin climb as I did on my first RS! I think the fastest way through the woods to Yorkgate Quarry is to turn left and take a direct line rather than climbing up to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    The Coldstone Ghyll checkpoint is at the top of the small climb just after crossing Coldstone Beck on Burley Moor.

As I remember, Above Stile is on the climb up Otley Chevin just before you reach the woods near the top. There's no need to go through the woods at the bottom of the Chevin climb as I did on my first RS! I think the fastest way through the woods to Yorkgate Quarry is to turn left and take a direct line rather than climbing up to the wall.
    For Coldstone Ghyll, make sure you take the second left fork after climbing out of the Ghyll itself. As long as it's not claggy, you should see the stick with the hole punches hanging on it from the main path.

As wjb says, The self clip on the Chevin climb is on the final grassy bit of the steep climb, and if you're on the proper climb you won't miss it.

My wife and I have different views on the fastest way through the woods. She thinks the short sharp climb up to the wall followed by a run along the path at the top is quicker. I'm never brave enough to try it out...
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Many thanks. Might have another look at the chevin bit one night this week.

Didn't get an entry Will; too slack. Good luck and enjoy - I might come out and laugh at you all.
    There is no best route through the Chevin woods. I just go diagonally up at half left from the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Didn't get an entry Will; too slack. Good luck and enjoy - I might come out and laugh at you all.
    There is no best route through the Chevin woods. I just go diagonally up at half left from the steps.
    Thanks Matt, yes that's what I do through the woods. I think it is faster than following the wall.

what is the best way after Rocky Valley. I usually ended up jumping over that stoned water channel thingy, but folks seem to take a number of ways across there. Anyone got a decent route link?

Anyone got an entry going yet?

I've heard some people swear by the route to the left after Rocky Valley. Can't see it being faster than staying high and crossing the stream myself.