Page 95 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

I've tried both ways whilst checking out the route and staying high was definitely quicker for me.

I agree with you, Will. I don't think it makes much difference at all, but I always go right and up at the top of rocky valley and jump the walled beck. I notice from Strava that the leaders last year (Graham, Joe and presumably Jack) went left. I think it's six and two threes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    I've heard some people swear by the route to the left after Rocky Valley. Can't see it being faster than staying high and crossing the stream myself.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    I agree with you, Will. I don't think it makes much difference at all, but I always go right and up at the top of rocky valley and jump the walled beck. I notice from Strava that the leaders last year (Graham, Joe and presumably Jack) went left. I think it's six and two threes.
    Yes but if Jack had gone right he might have won!

Keeping high and right and descending to jump the culvert cuts a corner and is faster. It's become a lot more popular over the years as people realise the advantage, so there's more of a path now. 17 - 18 years ago there was barely a trod to follow at the top before turning left to descend.

I wonder if anyone climbs all the way to the top and misses out Rocky Valley altogether? Would that be longer?

good question Britnick. Looking at it on the strava map, to me it looks like the same distance, but that you'd climb higher and steeper if you went up the steps to the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Keeping high and right and descending to jump the culvert cuts a corner and is faster. It's become a lot more popular over the years as people realise the advantage, so there's more of a path now. 17 - 18 years ago there was barely a trod to follow at the top before turning left to descend.

I wonder if anyone climbs all the way to the top and misses out Rocky Valley altogether? Would that be longer?

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    good question Britnick. Looking at it on the strava map, to me it looks like the same distance, but that you'd climb higher and steeper if you went up the steps to the top.
    I think you're right. Now you mention it I seem to recall coming to the same conclusion when I plotted it on Tracklogs a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I think you're right. Now you mention it I seem to recall coming to the same conclusion when I plotted it on Tracklogs a few years ago.
    I've seen people doing it though.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    I've seen people doing it though.
    It's the sort of thing I'd do!

Although this year all being well (mix of niggly achilles plus dreaded lurgy earlier this week!) it'll be the conduit route, and taking it easy throughout.

Time predictions anyone? I'll throw my hat into the ring with 3h19.
    Last edited by wjb; 01-02-2017 at 09:24 PM.

I'll throw mine in with a little over 4 hours for my 18th consecutive. I don't think I'm quite in PB form.