Page 96 of 109 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Keeping high and right and descending to jump the culvert cuts a corner and is faster. It's become a lot more popular over the years as people realise the advantage, so there's more of a path now. 17 - 18 years ago there was barely a trod to follow at the top before turning left to descend.

I wonder if anyone climbs all the way to the top and misses out Rocky Valley altogether? Would that be longer?
    I did one year when it was icy in Rocky Valley but the steps and higher ground were in full sun, so less treacherous underfoot. The speed I move it, it was never going to make much difference!
    Kerry Gilchrist, Bingley Harriers

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Time predictions anyone? I'll throw my hat into the ring with 3h19.
    that would be a good time, Will. I'd be happy with that. I don't think the conditions will be fast.

I think you'll be sub 3h05 Ben looking at your previous times and current form. I chose 3h19 as I'm aiming for a sub 4 3ps this year and the 3ps is about 40 minutes longer than RS for me.

My RS pb is 3h00:45 so I think 3h19 is doable.
    Last edited by wjb; 02-02-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Does everyone go the same way through esholt woods or are there route choices to be had there too? For example, is it just quicker to head straight down from the railway bridge to the track/ road and turn right?

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    Does everyone go the same way through esholt woods or are there route choices to be had there too? For example, is it just quicker to head straight down from the railway bridge to the track/ road and turn right?
    Unless you're planning on being out in front, you will see runners splitting left and right as you enter the woods. My advice is to stay right as this route stays high and you will end up in front of the others.

Cheers. I'm certainly not going to be out in front! I'm probably only quibbling over 2 mins difference but it's all good beta for the route ahead! Having not done it before I'm not sure on a time prediction. I'll be happy finishing around when Multiterrainer does I guess...!

Don't do that, it's a long way round. I saw from Strava flybys that one runner who finished just ahead of me had done that at the start and it put him a fair way back.
    Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    For example, is it just quicker to head straight down from the railway bridge to the track/ road and turn right?

Left or right of the wall after Keighley Gate Road? Always been left for me but I've heard some people go right with mixed success. I'm surprised Ilkley Swimmer hasn't reared his head with all these route choice discussions!

If you're sticking to the wall then my personal choice is left side as it tends to be a defined (but inevitably sloppy) singletrack, whereas on the right hand side it can morph into some monster bogs that need to be avoided.

The other option is to go down Keighley gate for a short while until you can funnel left to the cross, then take that trail across to the red bog paving slabs.

I'd always thought this was off-route as I thought you had to visit the Buckstones, but seems not so cutting to the slabs might save you some time, especially as ground will be pretty wet this year.

That smells a bit cheaty to me Dave. It will p*ss off other runners. Left of the wall is best.