Page 97 of 109 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

How very dare you sir!!

To be fair Matt, I always thought it was (and should be) a strictly prescribed route, so all the talk of route choice was completely obsolete. But then one year I saw the leaders taking the line down Keighley Gate road in full view of marshalls who said nothing to them, so I took it as well. Only done it the once and it was definitely quicker than the wall. Personally I'd have a self clip at Buckstones so the wall route becomes almost mandatory.

I haven't read the route description for years so I've no idea what it says anymore, or if it leaves scope for route choice at all. Not being a 'race' as such, I think everyone should have to follow the same route otherwise local knowledge on the Moor can play a bit too much of a part.

It doesn't seem cheaty to me (though I've never chosen that route - yet). For one, I asked the marshals who said it's fine. Secondly, it does still go to buck stones if you follow the trail. Third, it's longer. Fourth, I don't think it's any quicker, just more runnable and perhaps less energy sapping therefore. Fifth, it only ever seems to be the choice of those right at the front, and no one ever complains. So, why not try it and see?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    That smells a bit cheaty to me Dave. It will p*ss off other runners. Left of the wall is best.

he's injured and therefore probably not engaging on running discussions. I guess he's probably either swimming or stoking up some argument about dogs and their owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Left or right of the wall after Keighley Gate Road? Always been left for me but I've heard some people go right with mixed success. I'm surprised Ilkley Swimmer hasn't reared his head with all these route choice discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    It doesn't seem cheaty to me (though I've never chosen that route - yet). For one, I asked the marshals who said it's fine. Secondly, it does still go to buck stones if you follow the trail. Third, it's longer. Fourth, I don't think it's any quicker, just more runnable and perhaps less energy sapping therefore. Fifth, it only ever seems to be the choice of those right at the front, and no one ever complains. So, why not try it and see?
    I have tried it, but not whilst in the race, and yes it can be a bit quicker, but doesn't seem very fair to me.

Life isn't fair Matt

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I'll throw mine in with a little over 4 hours for my 18th consecutive. I don't think I'm quite in PB form.

I don't know the Rombalds Stride, but 18 consecutive of anything is impressive! nice one!! Best I managed was 11 Great Cumbrian Half marathons and 11 consecutive full NYSD XC seasons.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Life isn't fair Matt
    Its a lot fairer now I'm a free man

A quote from 2014:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I can now confirm that the left of the wall is quicker. I was running with Dan and Will at whetstone gate and left ahead of them to do the cowpers cross route. They took the top line and came out about 50m ahead of me at buck stones.

Another glorious day for the Stride although I don't think I've seen it that muddy before. Happy with my 3h26 after not competing since 2014. Good to catch up with some people I've not seen for a while.

Another glorious day for the Stride although I don't think I've seen it that muddy before. Happy with my 3h26 after not competing since 2014. Good to catch up with some people I've not seen for a while.
    I also thought it was particularly muddy. Conditions were pretty mild weren't they? I can't say I had the best day out, I fell on the slabs over Ilkley Moor and came a proper cropper ..... actually, perhaps it's more accurate to say that I was mugged

Anyhow, on the subject of route: I agree that the expectation in events like this is that everyone follows the same route (more or less), we had a big debate about this after the Hebden a few weeks back, because some people definitely got an advantage that day by deviating from the prescribed route. It's all down to interpretation I suppose .... for instance, today I followed what I believe is viewed as the "correct" route from the top of Rocky Valley down to the conduit, but one gentleman - joining the main path after having taken the lower (slower) line, intimated that I was doing something that wasn't quite cricket. As far as I'm concerned it was HIM who had taken the wrong line, but like I say, it's all down to interpretation.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners