Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Lakeland 3Day 2012

Great Lakeland 3Day 2012

After a break of a few years the GL3D is back and takes place on the 5th to 7th May next year.

A small but adventurous three-day mountain marathon, the GL3D is well known for its relaxed and friendly atmosphere that attracts both runners and long-distance walkers. Over the years the event has built up a small but dedicated following of competitors who enjoy the challenge of three long, consecutive days in the hills.

Competitors share one course, which averages about 26 miles each day with considerable height gain. Rather than complex navigation, the emphasis is on long mountain journeys, spectacular scenery and enjoying an amazing mountain experience. Mountain trails and footpaths, along ridges and through valleys, rather than contouring and bogs is a signature of the event.

The relaxed atmosphere of the event is best summed up in the flexible starting arrangements; each morning competitors simply pack up their kit (which is then transported to the overnight camp) and set off between 0700 and 1000. The faster competitors usually start last, whilst the slower competitors start earlier. Tea, cakes and refreshments are available at the end of each day.

The GL3D is a solo event but often competitors enter with their friends or join into informal groups to share each day on the hill. Although some competitors race, there are no prizes, just the respect of your peers for finishing!

If you would like to find out more, please visit www.GreatLakeland3Day.com

Re: Great Lakeland 3Day 2012

The weekend before the Fellsman 50th anniversary and my daughters birthday falls in the middle. Can't see me making it to both somehow.

Master

Good news, it was one of my favourite events!
    Is Joe still involved or have you taken it over?

No, Joe isn't involved any longer but I am not proposing making any significant changes to the excellent format he developed over the years. Hopefully Joe will take part though!

Master

Yikes, I've just seen the entry fee - £150! It was £70 last time it took place, in 2009.

Yes, the price has increased from the last event. However, I would have argued that the event was seriously under priced in the past and the fact that the event had actually stopped running might have been indicative of this. First of all, at least this excellent event is back on.

When you compare the £150 for the GL3D to the OMM (£110, two days rather than three... and they make you carry your bag) then I think the price looks much more reasonable.

Some of the changes that I am making to the GL3D is to use SI timing and include pre-marked maps. This is an additional cost but I hope that this improves the event for the competitors.

Isn't the OMM £110 for two people (£55 each)?

Anyway, putting the pricing to one side for a moment. The GL3D is a great event and thanks Shane for taking up the reins from Joe and putting the event back in the calendar. I took part in 5 GL3D's and like Toreador (post #3 above) have to say this was/is one of my favourite events.

Definately thinking about entering again next year.

Master

The OMM's £55 per person and includes lots more (most of which gets in the way and is why I prefer smaller events such as the RAB (£46) LAMM (£43) or SLMM (£35).)
    Do increased fees make it easier to gain the necessary permissions from landowners (serious question, I know this is one of Joe's continuing problems)?

Regardless of the excessive (IMHO) price increase I expect I'll be there next May :-)

Permissions are usually achievable but inevitably require lots of time negotiating with landowners, so yes this is a cost.

Great you are planning to join us. I'll do my best to make the experience awesome for you!

Not too "awesome" please, I still remember the 100 mile epic in 2008!