Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wot no Fellsman???

Wot no Fellsman???

I'm surprised there's no Fellsman talk on here - no-one doing it this year, or has everything thT could be said, been said before?
    (Any tips on the Middle tongue CP. gratefully recieved!&#128515

...I have no idea what those numbers mean, or why they have appeared?

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    ...I have no idea what those numbers mean, or why they have appeared?
    Me neither. I'm doing the Fellsman though, and it's in the Runfurther Ultra Champs this year. I can tell you nothing about the route though, as I haven't eve4n looked at where it goes yet. Wot me scared?
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

We can do a recee sometime when your arm is mended. I have done it 3 times but there are some bits I would want to recee either where I could be on my own or later in case th grouping requires me to be main navigator. I have always been very lucky in the grouping as far as sociability, friendliness, supportiveness and route knowledge is concerned

Karen,
    I'd potentially be up for a recce some time. not entered for this year but would like to do it one year.
    Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    We can do a recee sometime when your arm is mended. I have done it 3 times but there are some bits I would want to recee either where I could be on my own or later in case th grouping requires me to be main navigator. I have always been very lucky in the grouping as far as sociability, friendliness, supportiveness and route knowledge is concerned

3rd time this year for me, in the past it's been a game of 3 parts... The hills, the bogs and then the dark. I've found navigation OK up to Fleet Moss and then it starts getting sketchy across open moors until grouping, (think I just made it through Cray in 2012/2013 before grouping)

Like Karen, I've been lucky with grouping both times - I generally run on my own for most of the day and then started looking for potential grouping partners at around 17:30 - 18:00. Quite often you'll find yourself hitting checkpoints with the same people later on, so it's worth making a few friends as you may be spending a long, cold night with them ;-)

I know the route pretty well, especially fleet moss and middle tongue so if a recce jaunt over there (and maybe Buckden Pike and Great Whernside to boot) is on the cards let me know

I'm OK for the majority including the potentially difficult Fleet Moss - Yockenthwaite Moor - Grey Horse (on Gilbert Lane), but I really need to practice Cray to Buckden Pike. It's usually just dark by the time I get there; I only managed the optimum route up the gully in fading light just the once. I'll join for a recce if I'm free.

I'm just having a look at the route. Is the GR for the Middle Tongue CP correct? It's given as SD906803 on the website, but that appears to be about a mile from Middle Tongue, in the middle of nowhere on the southern slopes of Yockenthwaite Moor. Is that right? It's an odd place for a CP if it is.
    #
    Update: I should have read the rest of the notes. It's the right location, but it could be pretty tricky to find it imho.
    Last edited by Splatcher; 04-03-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

I'm OK for a recce this weekend, Sun 22 Mar, Easter weekend (any day), &/or Sun 19 Apr. I probably need more than 1 recce as I know none of it.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club