Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wot no Fellsman???

last year I contacted Harveys direct and they still had copies of the commemorative 50th anniversary maps - might be worth a check

...and, how do I interpret the clothing rules? Is "base layer" a technical t-shirt? Is the minimum you can get away with on your top 1 short-sleeved t-shirt, 3 long-sleeved t-shirts and a waterproof jacket? If the weather's going to be poor I'll carry more than t-shirts of course, but is this the bare minimum to pass the kitcheck?

I've got 16 short-sleeved technical t-shirts, but only 1 long-sleeved one that isn't a thermal top - never occurred to me I'd need more.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    last year I contacted Harveys direct and they still had copies of the commemorative 50th anniversary maps - might be worth a check
    Thanks barnyc - just phoned them (on 01786 841202) & they still have some at £10 a pop - they're sending me one. They're not on the website - you have to phone them.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Regarding clothing Andy, the FM isn't famous for it's balmy weather; indeed last year I had a trot round the last section a couple of weeks before in beautiful sunshine but the day itself started miserable!
    I had a Smelly Helly LS on and then carried another, a Berghaus LS tech and a Craghoppers thicker LS top just in case.

After a long day and when I was feeling crap at Cray, I got changed and put two of the other LS tops plus my waterproof on for the night section (it was just going dark and missed the group cutoff by about 15 minutes), and to be honest was cold for the 1st hour and wished I'd put all three tops on! And it wasn't raining then either.

It's horses for courses but I wouldn't skimp on lightness against warmth on this; a mate had all four tops and waterproof on a few years ago in the wind etc, and was still cold.

One thing I would say generally, the kit checks are strict but proper in my opinion; sections are bleak and if the weather's not good, you could well need most or all of your gear. At the Kingsdale checkpoint my maps & some other kit (1st aid kit, gloves) were checked & I was asked to show how to take a bearing by a marshal to prove I wasn't blagging, which I think is a good thing.

Hope that helps a little
    Last edited by alfa_scud; 12-03-2015 at 03:56 PM.

I'm not going to skimp on gear, don't worry. I know what it can be like up there. I'm just trying to understand the rules. I'll decide what to take on the day, & I don't want to misinterpret the regs. I always decide what I'm going to need separately from the rules, then make sure I've also got whatever the ROs say I've got to have. That always works! I've got everything I need if the forecast is bad, but if we end up with a really good weather forecast I'll take less with me, & it sounds like I've got to go shopping for longsleeved shirts.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

long sleeve is the way forward, both to be sure on the kit check and to actually keep warm - it's exposed all the way round so from a comfort perspective you'll want to invest.

it soon drops cold after dark (around 8pm) at which point you'll have about 45/50 miles in your legs and be feeling tired - you'll want the long sleeves

The only kit check where they have asked to inspect my fell shoes and their tread!

Got my handbook through today - they've used my before and after kit photo from my 2013 blog on Page 11 :-)

The most comprehensive kit check of any race I've ever done, but what is your 300g of emergency food going to be? I think I might still have my 300g block of marzipan from 2012/2013 somewhere!

Yep, I ha e some dated marzipan too!

Er...the same as the rest of my food. Kendal Mint Cake. At least I don't have to eat that bit.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club