Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Championships

British Championships

"There is nowt wrong with a runner having a crack in the English champs and then a load of great nights out with the most social club in fell running."

There's not but it does point at a wider issue..I hope the FRA are taking note of this..

A welsh resident, welsh national, moving to an English club so he can compete in a competitive championship....

Basically saying the British Champs just are not working.

It's a rather damning verdict of how the Brits are seen... which we all know.

The English Championship is more competitive than the British. It should not be that way. I don't think I ever finished outside the points in the Brits yet would looking at results in many English Champs races I'd struggle to get any points in many races.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Basically saying the British Champs just are not working.

It's a rather damning verdict of how the Brits are seen... which we all know.
    So what's your opinion:
    Do you think it's the format? or just that people don't want to travel? Or that the majority or runners are English and can't target so many races in a year? Or are more of them doing other events, which places more strain on their time?

Maybe we should take this to a different thread.

Noel.

I think the Brits have been dying for a few years now.

I'd just have one championship. Spread over all the constituent countries, 4 from 6 still. So one in Wales, Scotland and NI then 3 in England and give out the British and English medals from within that.

Then the English runners only have one trip they would HAVE to do. for the Brits its always been travel so for the other countries nothing really changes.

I supported the move to 3 from 4 but think it's clear it didnt work.

Just to add I didnt start this thread.. these were posts taken out of another thread by the moderators..

Looking at the top 10, A British race looks as competitive as an English one, perhaps more so.

A bit lower down and less so. I was 63rd at Flower Scar but would have been inside the top 25 at Maesgwm Muddle if I had run it.

Also, the coming English races will become less competitive, and I would expect to be able to finish higher in them

Probably the Home International race at the end of the season provides us with a UK Champion.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

"A bit lower down and less so. I was 63rd at Flower Scar but would have been inside the top 25 at Maesgwm Muddle if I had run it."

Yeah that's where the change is. Top 10 or so doesn't vary that much but afterwards there's a greater depth.. for most the english is more competitive.

In the womens if Eryri get a team out to most events they win or gain valuable points, even when the top 2-3 girls were missing.. in the English they wouldnt get away with that.

So Witton, the rest of Britain should what?

Race the english or just wait for that one race a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Probably the Home International race at the end of the season provides us with a UK Champion.
    Funnily enough I may well be at the UK Trail Running Champs (short course = half marathon), seeing how it's just down the road near Aberystwyth.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    So Witton, the rest of Britain should what?

Race the english or just wait for that one race a year?
    Not sure Iain.
    If it could be done, I'd have each Home Nation Champs over whatever series suits them, but to be completed by end August, and send the top 6 - 10 to the Home International to find the British Champ.
    Make it an Open event as well, so that it does find the best and athletes not contesting the Home Nation events can take part.
    I'd make it compulsory that it was an AM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell