Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 months to peak

I typically stop running (or at least training) in the winter. And start again early March. I'm normally back to my best by July, so 3 months sounds about right.

This is only for short stuff of course. Endurance training takes longer to build.

You could argue I'm always building on last year's gains. That's probably right for muscle conditioning and tendon strength and all that long-term soft tissue stuff. We're just talking about fitness here.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I've heard some say 'you're only 6 weeks from a PB'
    There's your Peak phase.
    Sorry, but I think that's a crock.

It would very much depend on what your PB was, and how far away you are from it at the start of the 6 weeks. I used to reckon on 7 races in a typical 3 month period before my races tended to drop off.

Agree Dom.

I think it depends on the person, their age, how far they dropped. 6 weeks is enough to make some gains, especially at shorter distance stuff.

A young lad will gain a lot in 6 weeks, 1 35+ year old will gain some, 45+ it will be harder and longer. A lot of the older footballers say that's the big difference with getting older, they 1) don't get over games as well, but 2) don't recover from injuries and gain fitness as quickly.

But 6 weeks solid training would give a significant improvement, it does work.

Aye I don't necessarily believe in it, just reporting something I'd heard out there.
    The '6 weeks' is assuming you're in fair shape already and just need some sharpening up.
    At the moment I prioritise rest over cramming in sessions in the run-up to a race which seems to be working.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy