Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lakes 50 at 50

Wainwright has quite a few dubious tops which seem to be mere book padding. Mungrisedale common is one - all of 2 metres prominence. One visited by the BGR is Watson's Dodd, yes it can look quite prominent from the valley floor but the "tor" of Calfhow Pike has greater prominence above its surroundings.

There's a lot of similar named points that have as much (or little) prominence. Personally I'd avoid the pimples on side ridges and stick to those tops that are reasonably independent. There's a list (compiled by Fred Rogerson) on the BG Club site of all the tops that are valid for the 24hr record.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post

For the Lakes I'm pretty sure all the tops have been named on the OS maps so stick with the map an you should be reet.

Good luck with the run.
    Looking at the OS map again, there is a good correlation between named spot heights and Birketts (though some ommissions on both counts). On that basis, I think I'm going to go with the Birketts and may then consider a 50 in one day rather than the 50 (wainwrights?) in 50 hours I was considering.

And now the planning begins......
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Wainwright has quite a few dubious tops which seem to be mere book padding. Mungrisedale common is one - all of 2 metres prominence. One visited by the BGR is Watson's Dodd, yes it can look quite prominent from the valley floor but the "tor" of Calfhow Pike has greater prominence above its surroundings.

There's a lot of similar named points that have as much (or little) prominence. Personally I'd avoid the pimples on side ridges and stick to those tops that are reasonably independent. There's a list (compiled by Fred Rogerson) on the BG Club site of all the tops that are valid for the 24hr record.
    Cheers bob. There are a number of fells in the wainwright books that seem largely pointless and probably only ever visited by peak baggers and Steve Birkenshaw. Going with the Birketts seems to exclude a lot of the chaff so I'm going to proceed on that basis but reserve the right to throw in a few of my own. There are a number of special places that I have visited over the years that I would count and probably only get a passing mention in wainwright but are a named spot height on an os map nonetheless. The list on the BG website has been useful so thanks for that.
    Last edited by PeteS; 19-03-2015 at 07:36 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast