Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New touring/winter frame

IMG_0219.jpgIMG_0220.jpgIMG_0221.jpg

From an overnight trip Mon/Tue this week, it gets a bit weighty once mudguards/Dynamo/luggage has all been added but copes well enough.
    pies

And now I've taken one, the bike.
    IMG_20170309_075847828.jpg
    pies

Well done Shaun - the sort of activity that I'm aspiring to.

Is that a tarp over the bivvy-bag - keep the contents dry when entering/exiting?

Spyre brakes, like myself, excellent both pads move in on the disc but with the simplicity of cable operation.

I have a full mtb drive train (44.32.22 x 11 - 32) hence the bar end shifters.

In the interests of puncture resistance I'm using Schwalbe Marathon Plus 'Tour' tyres, heavy(ish) but dependable and grippy - sticking with 700cx35mm although the frame/forks and rims would take 60mm with more than enough room to spare.

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 09-03-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

It is a tarp. Although it does more work as a wind break than keeping you dry. This one was taken up in Glen Tanar a few weeks back and shows them better. That was a cold wind coming of the hills, Mount Keen in this case.

IMG_0222.jpg

I made mine out of an old tent, heavy compared to some but cheap enough that I'm happy strapping it to the down tube. In still winter conditions I'd not use it, and in summer I'd use a tent for the bug mesh unless it's windy.

I definitely prefer a bivvy to a tent. Watching the light break Tuesday morning across the Glen was fantastic.

Must be plenty of places near Bowland?
    pies

The basic problem with Bowland is that historically it has been very 'guarded' as private grouse moors - not a bad thing in that it has maintained the quiet unspoilt nature of our local wilderness and as runners we've been happy to explore on foot.
    However, there is a dearth of footpaths let alone bridleways. Bike-packing would be limited to the Hornby Road / Salter Fell track or at the roadside on the 4 open moorland roads that cross the area - but the Yorkshire Dales are within easy cycling distance and that opens up a whole new scene.
    The beauty of Scotland is that anywhere you can walk you can cycle and you are obviously blessed with some likeminded chums.
    I have plenty of friends who are into road & MTB cycling, plenty who are into walking / running, a few into bivvying but none into bike-packing.
    I traversed Mount Keen when I walked a Scottish C2C (Stonehaven - Fort William) for my 50th summer, May 2000.

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 10-03-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    It is a tarp. Although it does more work as a wind break than keeping you dry. This one was taken up in Glen Tanar a few weeks back and shows them better. That was a cold wind coming of the hills, Mount Keen in this case.
    Did you heave your bike over from Glen Esk?