Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5:2 diet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

5:2 diet

Need to shift some excess weight, giving this a go and wondered if anyone else has had any experience.

Basically you eat normally for five days of the week and eat only 600 calories on two days of the week.

I started yesterday and had a 600 calories lunch only. Got through an hour of circuit training ok last night and eating normally today until Friday when I will eat only 600 calories again. Then I'll eat normally over the weekend and start again Monday.

Will report how I get on!

Good luck. Some people have done it at work with good effects. I've not seen it done alongside training.

Flip, 600calories and still doing circuit training. Did you have anything to aid recovery after that? I can't imagine that your workouts on the 600calorie day would be of much value without quality fuel to burn. But if it works...

I had a go when I'd had a lazy 12 months and needed to shift some excess, did a couple of weeks but found that the lack of energy meant my running wasn't as good as it should have been, I sort of decided that more calories would let me run harder and therefore shift more weight.

Do you train 7 days a week ? If not, then as suggested above, might be best not to coincide a fast day with a training day if at all possible. After hard training then the body need fuel to repair itself

I think I'm settling on the French Diet.
    pies

'I think I'm settling on the French Diet'

That's a shame, I almost stood on a large toad on the pavement at the end of my run last night, rather than shepherding it across the pavement and into the grass as I did, I could have squashed it and donated the legs :-)

Banned
    Did it for 18 months and it works a treat and it allowed gym sessions without any ill effects.

Went from 14st down to 11st 7lb and ran my best for a full summer.

Tu & Th were diet days, rest were normal eating and Saturday night was ale.

I did this last winter for several months and found it quite effective with slow loss of weight. I would be on it now (or at least 1 day a week) but for 7 weeks of a nasty virus has laid us both low - not the time for draining energy reserves with diets.

My observations are that beware of energy levels dropping off during training, I was trying to do distance work but would just bonk after an hour, although I never tried anything long the immediate day after fasting the cumulative effect was quite draining.
    I also found after a couple of months it became less effective, this was mainly my fault, as combined with some form of training every day I was hungry, the day after fasting I started to "over compensate" with food, big cooked breakfast for starters and having odd cravings for certain foodstuffs, probably more food than I needed! It was very enjoyable though, stuffing myself with lots of treats and NOT putting weight on.
    After a few weeks we quite looked forward to the fasting days, always did a Monday to get over the weekend overindulgences and then a Thursday so we could enjoy the weekend and I would have a bit of food in me for weekend training.

Hope it works for you, probably the only diet or eating programme that I could stick to and would certainly do 1 day a week to feel better and hold my weight steady.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    'I think I'm settling on the French Diet'

That's a shame, I almost stood on a large toad on the pavement at the end of my run last night, rather than shepherding it across the pavement and into the grass as I did, I could have squashed it and donated the legs :-)
    TBH, I was just planning on adding a thick layer of butter and/or cream to everything I eat. Bread, pasta, biscuits, apples, cereals.

Reckon that'll do.
    pies