Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5:2 diet

Not saying the 5:2 diet doesn't work but is there any real need to diet? If you simply JERF (just eat real food) you will lose body fat. So cut out the crap from your food intake. So that includes: all breads, all cakes, pasta,ready meals, ready made sauces, alcohol in excess, sweets and chocolate, crisps,fizzy drinks, so called health foods (often packed with sugar), oh yes that reminds me - cut out all refined sugar. So you still eat protein, carbs and fats but you source them from the raw material ie meat from the butcher, vegetables in all their variety from the green grocer, fish from the fish monger. And if anyone says they don't have time to prepare food from the raw materials then answer this: do you have time to watch TV or listen to music. Then ask: do I have time to look after my health?

Well...you'll be saying next that "diets" (as distinct from a healthy diet) can never work in the long term and are counter productive to the normal digestive processes of the human body but they do provide an income of £billions to organisations which cynically take advantage of weak-willed, self-indulgent, attention-seeking gullible people with more money than sense, thereby getting "fat" on huge corporate profits.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I agree that most 'diets' are a short term fix which don't really work, but this one is supposed to be kept up long term and supposedly has other health benefits as well as weight loss.

I'm too busy working and training to cook or watch TV!

I'll be training on fast days but will keep it low intensity.

My neighbour does the 5:2 diet. Doesn't seem to be working, he got bigger over winter. Just saying.

agree with Fudge the Elf.
    the word 'diet' needs to be removed from the vocabulary. diets are rarely sustainable long term. JERF all the way.
    plus, it is really just a case of calories in vs calories out. get the balance right with good nourishment that your body needs and the weight will shift. if it isn't, then something is out of balance.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    5 pints and 2 packets of scampi fries?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Lasted a couple of weeks but became too hard, I enjoy eating! Nice idea though.

Banned
    Back on it as weight has increased over the past 18months.

See if i can get back to a running weight.

Here goes🤣

Without wanting to try and preach... my view is that any 'diet' is a fad, and it needs a long-term change in lifestyle or habits to be successful and lasting.

For me it was 2011 or 2012, stepping on the scales at xmas and being just over 16 stone. Without fail, my diet (hate that word!) has been based solidly around a rice/chicken meal daily. For me the restriction in calories came from doing without a large breakfast. Whether or not i had a large breakfast, i was still hungry again two hours later, so i figured i'd save the calories, and just make to with a couple of spoonfuls of Greek Yoghurt, or a bit of fruit juice, etc.

I personally find i can suffer a little more throughout the day with feeling hungry, but wouldn't contemplate going to bed hungry, and often find my largest meal of the day is supper, after training. Which flies a little against convention.

When i was at my heaviest (102kg) i set a target to eventually get down to 84g. I hit a bit of a stall at 84-85kg but the incentive of competing professionally in my sport at the time, helped me get down to 78kg, and even hit 76kg whilst training in Thailand.

Currently 'walking round' at 80kg.

SHORT VERSION.... FAD DIETS DON'T WORK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The 5:2 diet is not a fad, it actually does work. I used it for other reasons, and not to lose weight, but despite eating for England, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland on the '5' days I still lost weight month after month - and I only weighed 60kg to start with!!!

Can't argue with your experience and the benefits to your health, but you did yourself say that you had to give it up due to issues on the '2' days, which indicates it's probably not a sustainable choice.