Thread: JossNaylorChallenge lines

JossNaylorChallenge lines

Looking for the perfect lines to attempt a 12 hour JNC. It is a very fast pace!

Trace from part of first recce included. held the pace between summits, just! But stopped at summits to enjoy views and east/drink.

So:

Pike How is just above the "o" of How - what is the fastest way to Kirkstone from there? I went up Ravens edge by mistake!

Scope for improving route to scandale pass? Is the line to the East better?

Improve/contour the line around the 792 summit south of Dove Crag? Is that worth doing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tomphillips View Post

Trace from part of first recce included. held the pace between summits, just! But stopped at summits to enjoy views and east/drink.

So:

Pike How is just above the "o" of How - what is the fastest way to Kirkstone from there? I went up Ravens edge by mistake!

Improve/contour the line around the 792 summit south of Dove Crag? Is that worth doing?
    I've been waiting for the opportunity to feed your words back to you, Tom, but maybe instead of finding better lines, you could just get older
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Ha, that's my plan. Got blown off on my 50th bday and had to abort at Dunmail. Do I go again this year or wait a year til I am 55 and get more time ( not that time was actually the issue)

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    I've been waiting for the opportunity to feed your words back to you, Tom, but maybe instead of finding better lines, you could just get older
    getting older every day! struck down with some kind of back/hip spasm this week now!

getting older every day! struck down with some kind of back/hip spasm this week now!
    Your Hokas probably need more Sellotape on them...
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

So:

From memory, and it's a while ago since I helped a JNC: you go up a little bit of Ravens edge then over the shoulder and find a way of cutting across and down missing out as much of the large rocks as possible.

The descent to scandale pass is slightly faster if you keep right of the path and wall all the way down (streams for water too) cutting off the corner, stay out right near the bottom to miss out a small re-ascent.

Cutting the corner off to Dove crag probably depends on how you like contouring on soft grass. It probably is a bit quicker but I prefer the longer option as it's easier underfoot.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it, its a tough pace keep to.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 09-04-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Alan Lucker is pretty much spot on.

My route took me along Ravens Edge until you get to a massive boulder. Cross the broken wall here and contour on grass. You soon pick up a bit of a trod then a steep grassy descent to the boggy area in the corner of the field where the gate goes onto the road near the north end of the car-park.

Scandale Pass - definitely keep to the right of the main path/wall. Again, you should find a trod most of the way down (306deg off Red Screes summit - cross the wall by the fancy fence-post). Then I use the route by Scandale Tarn. Cut the corner below Dove Crag and easy contour to the south-west (same as most do on the IHMR).

Also agree whole-heartedly with the getting older business! When I was 50 (and injured) I managed 12hrs 3mins. Last year was a doddle in just over 13hrs. That extra hour made a heck of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    From memory, and it's a while ago since I helped a JNC: you go up a little bit of Ravens edge then over the shoulder and find a way of cutting across and down missing out as much of the large rocks as possible.

The descent to scandale pass is slightly faster if you keep right of the path and wall all the way down (streams for water too) cutting off the corner, stay out right near the bottom to miss out a small re-ascent.

Cutting the corner off to Dove crag probably depends on how you like contouring on soft grass. It probably is a bit quicker but I prefer the longer option as it's easier underfoot.

This is good advice.

Ravens Edge can be all but avoided. Consider dropping down sooner, seemingly too soon, rather than later and if you get time to look at it consider contouring below it. I have done than once and although it was a while ago it seemed as good if not better than going up on to the Edge only to have to find a way off it.

Like Alan, I doubt you gain much by cutting the corner on Dove Crag.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post

This is good advice.

Ravens Edge can be all but avoided. Consider dropping down sooner, seemingly too soon, rather than later and if you get time to look at it consider contouring below it. I have done than once and although it was a while ago it seemed as good if not better than going up on to the Edge only to have to find a way off it.

Like Alan, I doubt you gain much by cutting the corner on Dove Crag.