Thread: Weight Training

Weight Training

Thoughts?
    Who does weight training/circuits/crossfit to keep strong and suppliment running? If so what do you do, if not, do you not think it would help gain in the running department?

I do kettlebell exercises or bodyweight circuits most mornings and two gym weight sessions a week. Mainly upper body work plus weighted squats etc. I'm pretty sure it's doing me good.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    Hi Andy, I've always done weights alongside my running, but only recently have I got it sorted to work for running. I've had a long-lay off since 2012 with a couple of injuries - over which time I obtained a PT qualification, as part of my explorations into my problems.

Prior to my lay-off, I was battling ITB and I was doing all the right exercises, but found that I wasn't improving. Over the last couple of years though, I've learnt about neuro-muscular pathways and the importance of getting your muscles firing correctly. As a sedentary worker, my glutes have gotten lazy and don't fire properly, as well as other imbalances such as hip flexors being too tight (fairly typical in office workers). As a result, other muscles are recruited to do more of the workload of the glutes, which is where things like ITB arises.

With these imbalances though, if you jump straight into squats for instance, thinking you're going to strengthen the glutes, if they're not firing properly, you won't necessarily get the desired results. So I started spending more time on activating the muscles, with much less intense exercises (such as resistance band work) with a concentrated effort on recruiting my glutes. Touching the muscle helps here. You know if it's working if you're feeling the DOMS in the right places afterwards. If it's all in the quads and hamstrings - and even lower back - you're doing it wrong.

Since then I've managed to address a lot of my imbalances, and I seem to be on top of my ITB (I won't say I've beaten it, because then I'll lose my focus and stop working on it). For me now, I always do work on my posterior chain:

- Squats (as well as activation, there's a lot of opportunity to get the technique wrong, particularly if your hip mobility is poor, so I spent some time working on this, lots of variations, but always deep..."ass to the grass")
    - Deadlifts (again, variations)
    - Cleans & snatches
    - Lunges
    - Box jumps
    - Kettlebell swings
    - Burpees
    - Turkish get ups
    - Get up stand ups

I've even saved one of the 3ft x 2ft concrete paving slabs from the garden when we did it a couple of years back. I take this on to the back street and do 5 sets of 5 20m lift and carries.

There's a good mini-circuit I do after a rowing interval session, 5 rounds of:

5x deadlift @100kg
    10x box jump burpee
    10x kettlebell swing@24kg OR 10x get up stand up @12kg

Working it in a circuit like this also gives you a good cardio workout too, so you don't have to sacrifice this element of your training either!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Going to Leeds for the night soon and plan to nip off the M1 on the way home and go for a run.????

solarmovie site
    is tom selleck gay lover
    ben shapiro sister tits
    ben and mor shapiro
    goblin slayer season 2?
    Last edited by Aliraza47; 02-03-2021 at 09:11 AM.